| Beep |

Beep. His eyes flickered open to the dreamlike sound. Calm yet informative, it brought him to life. When he glanced at his alarm clock, he frowned at the frozen seven AM and wondered why it did not do its normal ring. The usual trombone buzzard sound always gave him the impression of waking up in a four-walled cell within a prison. Never amusing because the alarm did its job to revive a soul from a possible everlasting sleep. So, he felt content, no aware.

He got himself ready for his interview, stretching out his stiff joints and numbed limbs. He tugged on a navy-blue tie to offset his black suit and carefully polished his black leather shoes. While he brushed his teeth and combed his short cropped chestnut hair, he hummed an unknown tune. Occasionally, he'd pause in the middle of a task to stare suspiciously around his bedroom, even his living quarters.

Something felt strange to him, made the hairs along his arms stand, as if he had a million eyes watching him. But only he lived in this apartment and the last time he had a visit, hmm, he couldn't remember when or who, but they never came back.

Beep. He rubbed his right ear now burning upon hearing this sound again. He glanced at the clock aiming towards eight and knew he had no time to search his clean fancy apartment. He decided to locate this beeping later and grabbed his leather bag and left, hoping he hadn't forgotten anything. Exiting the apartment complex, he heard the beep again. He let it muffle into the chaotic song of screeching tires, honking horns, and walking bodies along this street in New York City.

"Synny," a man called out to him from a shiny red metallic car. When he approached, utterly confused, and asked him how he knew his name. The man laughed and held up his cellphone. "What do you mean? You just called for an uber."

Synny frowned, wanting to argue how he did not submit a call, but he needed to make it to his interview on time. So, he climbed in, thanked the driver, and mentally prepared himself over practiced responses to possible questions.

Beep. Synny sighed with annoyance and decided he had to locate this beeping. The last thing he needed was distraction on this very important shift in his life. This upgrade would set him above his other comrades and push him into the next level of his program. The very thought brought a wide smile to his face, revealing clean perfect teeth. Cautiously, he searched his bag, checked his silver Rolex, and even wiggled his toes to see if any tiny device had slipped its way onto his person. But he found nothing. He checked his cellphone for any missed notifications since he woke up and went straight to getting ready, and still found nothing.

Beep. Beep. "Oh no," Synny mumbled.

"Everything okay back there?" the driver said.

"Yes," he said suddenly feeling heat flushing his body, aiming straight to his head. He blinked a few times to hold back the wetness in his eyes. His stomach growled and his fingers stiffened, unable to move them much. "Something's wrong," he croaked, throat dry and cracked.

Beep, the settled sound continued, only this time it came a minute a part. Thick sweat trickled down his forehead and nausea invaded his gut. When the driver finally dropped him off at the program's fifty story building, he jumped out and forgot to pay. The man's angry shouts fell inaudible to his beeping ears as he ran to enter the building. Somehow, he knew where to go and exited the elevator on the thirtieth floor.

"Synny Tobor! We're over here," the CEO shouted standing at a conference table with six men and women dressed in fancy suits.

Catching his breath and rubbing his ears like a maniac, Synny approached. At first, everyone just stared at him, their smiles slowly drooping at his disheveled appearance.

Beep. Beep. Beep, the sound continued but this time it was louder in his ears.

"Are you okay Mr. Tobor?"

"No. I'm sorry," he said fighting to hold back the need to cry. "It's just. Can you hear that?"

"Hear what? Synny?" the CEO said the only one wearing a mischievous smirk.

"The beeping sound. Can you hear the beeping? I don't know where it's coming from."

The CEO burst into a proud laugh causing his comrades to give awkward smiles. "Don't worry, Synny. There's no need to continue through the interview stage. I will pass you."

"How? Why?" Synny said.

"Do you remember what you are?"

Synny stared at his knowing smile and his comrades who gave impressed nods and even clapped.

"That's good if you don't." The CEO came around the table to him and aimed a remote at a nearby wall. Panels in the wall popped out and slid upward, revealing screens that replayed him waking up in his bed, preparing himself to leave, and driving in the uber car. Synny was lost for words seeing his suspicions were true, but why were there cameras in his apartment? Panic churned his gut and his ears still beeped. Perhaps he was going insane.

When he turned to face everyone, prepared to flood them with questions, he found the CEO had placed a blue metallic suitcase on the table. It sat open with its contents on display. A large high-tech battery and a retractable cable cord.

"What is that?" Synny said feeling the chill of forgotten memories lingering in a dark corner of his mind.

"Oh Synny Tobor, I will make sure you upgrade tomorrow to our first graduating group. But first, we need to recharge your battery."

Beep.

THE END