三十五

A New Consort

PLEADING for Consort Lin's cause will be seen as being filial to the woman who raised me, someone that I recognized as my mother, but if it goes badly and the Emperor scolded me, I'll be viewed as nosy. This is a matter between the Emperor and his women, and I have already married outside.

From the beginning, there was no choice left for me. If Consort Lin asked, I have no right to refuse, if I did she will point her finger at me and accuse me of being unfilial and cutting ties now that I'm part of the Sun clan, like an ungrateful white-eyed wolf. In any case, I wouldn't put too much effort into it, I'll just put in a few good words about her and it will be considered as done. Whether or not the Emperor lifted her ban is up to him, no one can blame me if I at least tried.

On my way to Tianshang palace where the Emperor resides, I keep thinking about what to say to his majesty. A reasonable sentence that will put Consort Lin in a good light and at the same time not offend him.

It seems fate is not favoring Consort Lin. He gongong stopped me at the gate before I could even enter “Greetings to Her Highness, his majesty is busy and will not grant anyone an audience. Please go back”

Smiling cordially at his majesty's personal eunuch, I said in a light-hearted manner “These days, this princess feels lonely and bored, my husband is away, and there's no one to ¹accompany me back to the palace, still I have thought of visiting ²fuhuang by myself on his free time so what can he be busy about?” my intention was to fill him with guilt. A husband is supposed to escort his wife to her natal home after the wedding but the Emperor has to send away my husband on our wedding day nonetheless and yet he still won't grant me an audience.

Besides, the court meeting has long ended a few hours ago and as far as I know, there's no big matter in the court. The riot has long been suppressed by Renshu, what is left now is putting the negotiating terms of surrender.

He gongong has an uneasy expression “Princess, this...”

Before he could think of a reply, we heard melodious laughter from the front yard and the pleased voice of the Emperor. I took a peek at the slightly opened gate and saw a beautiful woman sitting on his majesty's lap, playing with so many fine pieces of jewelry made of gold and colorful gems, her lotus like hands held a gem against the sunlight and it brightly sparkles in colorful light. She exclaimed “Look your majesty, this one is similar to a rainbow against the sunlight. It's like holding a rainbow in my hand!”

“Do you like this one? Zhen can order someone to make a hairpin out of this too”

“Your majesty will do that for me?” the woman asked in a soft saccharine voice, her arms sneaking around the Emperor's neck.

The Emperor smiled helplessly, as if there was nothing he can do but spoil her “As long as Yue-er is happy, zhen can do anything” In response she gives him a resounding kiss on his lips. He laughed in delight. Who was this unfamiliar man?

In my eyes, he has always been that frightening and unfathomable Emperor. In my memories, he has never smiled like this with anyone, not even his own children, nor did he speak and look at anyone softly like how he's speaking and looking at the beautiful woman on his lap.

To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. I was rooted to the spot.

Aren't they behaving quite un​scru​pu​lously in broad daylight? And it's outside, one is a Consort and the other is the Emperor, breaking protocols. They really have to pick a place to flirt or is this new consort trying to show off by acting squea​mish outside notwithstanding that someone might see them in such a manner?