Chapter 1 - Today My Life Begins

Y/N POV

I enter the OR with Chief Webber giving a speech to us all. It seems rehearsed as if he has said it before. It's probably one that he says to all new interns on their first day on the residency programme.

"Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today... you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you"

I look out at everyone around me and I can't help but feel very nervous about what is to come. Out of all 20 of us, 4 are girls. Better than none I guess. It just means that we will have to up our game and show the boys that they will not take out with trying to be the alpha males of the entire group.

Once the tour is over and done with, I head straight to the intern locker room and get dressed into my scrubs and lab coat. I really hope that I make it through the programme and get to do my fellowship. All of med school will have been for nothing if I failed my boards and exams.

I look over to my left and see a girl getting dressed.

"Hi, I'm Y/N Y/L/N"

"Josephine Wilson but everyone calls me Jo" Jo gives me a small smile.

"I still can't believe that out of 20 people there are only 4 girls"

"Same here. It's so shocking that there aren't more female surgeons. It's more stereotypical of them to be nurses because that's where toxic men think they belong so that they can have all the glory of saving people's lives to themselves" She seems just as frustrated as well as passionate as I am.

"Wilson, Edwards, Y/L/N, Murphy, Ross. You're with Dr Robbins' service today. Peds floor, go!" One of the older residents calls us out. I grab my notepad and pen, heading out of the room and straight to the stairs.

I open the doors to the stairs and go up, doing a slight jog to get there a bit faster. I really want to make a good impression by being on time or even just a little bit earlier. I've looked into peds when I was in med school. It seems easy but it's kids. They aren't adults. They have smaller bodies. They are more fragile than we are.

Once up the stairs, I walk towards the nurses station, spotting a blonde doctor in dark blue scrubs. I walk up behind her and confidently speak.

"Dr Robbins?"

"Yes, you must be one of my interns for the day. And you are?"

"I'm Y/N Y/L/N"

"Nice to meet you. Let's just wait for the rest of the interns and then we can begin" She gives off a positive vibes. Happy but just wants to get the work done.

Not long after I arrive, the rest of the interns are finally at the nurses station. Just before we step onto the actual Peds ward, Robbins also gives us a speech. Jesus, how many speeches do we need in one day. I'm here to learn, not to listen to doctors speak about being doctors.

"This is not general surgery in miniature. These are the tiny humans. These are children. They believe in magic. They play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV bags. They hope and they cross their fingers and they make wishes. And that's what makes them more resilient than adults. They recover fast, survive worse, they believe. In Peds., we have miracles and magic. In Peds., anything is possible..."

She opens the doors and we all walk through, looking around us at all the sick kids in beds with their families. It's heartbreaking seeing them like this. It must be so hard to have to say goodbye to your kids if they don't make it. Dr Robbins leads us into a little boys room. h can't be any older than 10. He seems to be happy. He even has his own smaller lab coat on. Once we are in the room, Robbins gives Jo the tablet.