Chapter 2: Reunion

After everything settled down in the pool, everyone headed inside to dry off. Belly stopped in the kitchen to speak to the moms and I went straight to my room. My bags were sitting outside of my door, so I picked them up and took them inside. Brushing through my hair and changing out of my soaked clothes, I finally laid down, taking a deep breath. I can unpack later.

      My eyes find their way to my collection of shells- each one hand picked from over all the years I've come. Susannah always loves to say I have the best taste since I only keep the most unique and colorful ones I find. My sea shell collection is my most prized possession at the beach house. I spend hours roaming the shore and diving down to find the perfect shells for it.

      My gaze moves around the rest of my room. It's tangerine orange with seashell wallpaper. I have a light colored wooden bookshelf that sits in the corner wrapped with fairy lights which matches my dresser and desk. The windows have long white curtains that flow when the beach breeze blows through early in the morning. My white bed set is scattered with beachy blue and orange pillows. There's a colorful flower rug on the floor that's always covered in sand and some knickknacks scattered about the room to add my own personal touch- posters of my favorite music artists, a koala bear Belly and I won in ring toss as kids, beach perfumes I saved up for from various Cousin's boutiques, a starfish piggy bank, photo booth pictures of me and Jere at the boardwalk, my brother's old beach hat that I stole so much he ended up just giving it to me, a one of a kind seashell dream catcher I picked out with Susannah when I wanted to decorate my room.

The light catches it then.

I was twelve years old. That summer I had vaguely expressed wanting to do something more with my beach house room "now that I was almost a teenager and all". My mother had told me that we could get around to it, but we never did. I was out running errands with Susannah when I saw it. It was hanging in the window of an old antique store. Made out of old rope and wood, it wouldn't seem like much, but braided into and hanging from it were groups of beautiful seashells. Bright oranges, dark purples, shiny whites, and soft pinks glistened as the light hit it and in the middle stood a gorgeous yellow starfish. Every part of it was breathtaking to me. It was full of all the shells I could've only ever dreamed of finding. As much as I loved it, though, I forced myself to look away. My mom's recent book hadn't been selling as much as she hoped. Although she tried her best to hide it, it was obvious money was tight. She'd already spent so much money on my siblings and I that summer- I'd feel guilty even asking. It was best to let it go. Susannah had known me better though. "Hey, Kie, let's stop in here," she said softly grabbing my hand and leading me into the shop. I followed her in carefully avoiding the dreamcatcher my eyes itched to sneak another glance at. She wondered around stopping and looking at a few things here and there. I started flipping through the dusty old books to keep me occupied and before I knew it she was behind me. "You ready my love?" I turn around and notice her new bag carrying a carefully wrapped item inside. My eyes betrayed me and I catch myself checking the window to see the dreamcatcher, but It wasn't there. I looked back down at the bag and then up to her. I didn't even have to ask. My smile beamed and I almost knocked Susannah down with how excitedly I hugged her. She just laughed and smoothed my hair. When we got home we immediately went upstairs to hang it. Conrad helped and commented how pretty it was. Since that day it's stayed there, hanging above my bed and pushing away every bad dream.

I smile. Realization hits me that I haven't even got to say a proper hello to Susannah yet. The first day is always hectic and I knew I'd have plenty of time to catch up with her all summer, but I still feel the need to head downstairs and say hello. There's so much to fill her in on.

Lifting myself off the bed I head to the stairs. Once in the kitchen I round the corner, the moms are sat at the table with ice cold glasses of lemonade chatting.