Chapter 1, Still Alive?

TW: MENTIONS OF SUICIDE

"Say hi to God."

Veronica had troubles saying that and wasn't fully ready to let go of JD. She still loved him deep down, even though he killed three of her classmates, tried to kill her, and almost blew up the school. But she couldn't help it, he was the first person she could talk to with ease and talk about how she felt without getting called a 'Bitch' and getting told to 'Suck it up'. But the words flowed out her mouth like a puzzle piece fitting perfectly into its designated spot.

She braced herself for the loud noise, the shock of heat, ash all over, but it never came. She waited and waited for what felt like an eternity. She looked over at JD who had his arms out wide like he was waiting for a hug. Confusion crossed his face as he started fiddling with the bomb, trying to get it to go off. Veronica waited and as she did she grabbed a cigarette from her pocket putting it in her mouth. JD still fiddling with the bomb realized, it wasn't going to work. His blood went cold, his skin went pale, and everything was numb. Not the type of numb he would get when he would force a slushy down his throat but a type he had when he watched his mother commit suicide right in front of him.

Veronica noticed his change in posture and emotion, she knew something happened. The bombs timer had stopped, it stayed at 4 seconds. No matter how many times JD hit the bomb, it still didn't work. Veronica's heart sank. The same way it sank when she watched Heather Chandler fall straight through the glass coffee table. The cigarette fell out her mouth. Her whole body was shaking, it was hard for her to stay standing. She grabbed onto the stairs bar for support. JD's lips began to curve upward into a grin. Confusion crossed Veronica's face as she was still holding onto the bar.

"I guess I wont be taking after my mom.."

JD began stumbling off, with each step he took a deep breath. Veronica stood there, watching his every move. Her mind was racing. So many thoughts came all at once. But the only thought that she could focus on was "Why?". Why did the bomb not go off? Why did JD just, walk away? Why didn't she say anything? Why is her life such a mess? She took a step back, still having all these thoughts come rushing at her. The wind blew through her hair as she turned around and walked into Westerburg High. The cheers and chants of her fellow classmates filled her ears. Her mouth curved itself into a smile. She walked over to her locker and leaned on it for support. The taste of salt filled her mouth as she felt tears run down her cheek.

Why was she crying?

JD was a monster who deserved to die, and now he gets to walk off scott free? But somewhere in her she felt relief that he survived. She didn't know why she felt this way, but she did. And she hated every bit of this feeling. She wiped off her tears, smudging blood across her face as well. Slouching down onto the floor, she broke down into tears, putting her face into her hands.

...

As JD walked off, limping as well, he started to feel faint. Maybe it was from the amount of blood loss? I mean, he did get shot three times. As he limped his way to the street, the bomb still attached to him, he began to think about everything that just happened. Him putting bombs in the gym, the fight in the boiler room, Veronica. Everything was a blur, he couldn't think straight. He got closer and closer to the street, cars flying by, as he noticed the world looked more blurry then usual. It could just be everyone breaking the speed limit, but when he looked at the trees and the still things, they looked blurry too. At this point he was already almost in the road. People gave him weird looks as they sped by. JD's balance was completely out of order, he could barely stand. The amount of blood he loss was starting to get to him. He started walking into the road. All he could hear was honks, then, nothing.

He had again, tried to kill himself.

Everything was blank, for once his mind was quiet. He could finally put his mind to rest. It felt nice, not having his mind be filled with constant thoughts of "You don't deserve to live" and "It would be pretty easy to just kill yourself right now". Still, it felt weird, having his mind be still. In a weird way, JD liked having his mind always running, it kept him busy. Well, he didn't like the constant thought of suicide, but beside that, he enjoyed it. It was like he had a friend that was always with him everywhere he went.  But, at last, the peacefulness went away as all he could hear was ringing. A loud, powerful ringing. The darkness around him got brighter and brighter, and the ringing got louder and louder. All he wanted was for this to be over. He wondered if this is what hell was like. Just constant ringing in his ears and everywhere he looked, it was just black. Pure black. JD felt weak; like he couldn't move, like he was tied to a wooden board..