-02-

The people back at home -my classmates, the volleyball girls, and my co-workers- think I live life so easily, a perfect family with more than enough money needed. The worst part was that they are absolutely right. Why should I be sad and mope when I had everything so perfectly? There are way more people who have it so much worse. I had decent grades, food, a roof over my head, a caring mother figure, and my brothers. 

Speaking of the two idiots, I decided to finally get out of bed. It just turned ten o'clock, so the Conklins would be arriving in thirty minutes. I quickly changed into a green crop top and cargo pants, despite the humid weather. 

In the kitchen Mom was painting on a small canvas, while Conrad was eating a bowl of cereal. 

"Can I have your milk when you're done?" Jeremiah asked, looking at him from across the kitchen island. 

"Dude, that's gross." Conrad laughed, shaking his head. 

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes, turning to me as I went to grab a glass of orange juice. "Oh look who's finally up! It's sleeping beauty." 

"Good morning Alice." Mom said happily, placing her paint brush into a bowl of water. "Follow me up stairs, will you? The boys forgot to make up Steven's room." 

"Sure." I shrugged, chugging the rest of the juice. "Wash that for me please." I winked.

As we pulled the sheet over the bed, she stopped me. "Honey, what do you think of being a debutante this year? I know you declined last year, but I thought it would be cute for you and Belly to do it together!" 

I hesitated for a second. I was never one to willingly put myself out there, especially to dance. I could fall in front of everybody! But then a small thought crept into my mind. This could be the last summer with her, and the least I can do is make her happy.

"Y'know what, sure mom." I smiled, fluffing up a pillow.

"Oh- Oh really! That's wonderful Al! Oh I love you! When I ask Belly and she hopefully agrees, we can all go shopping together!" She beamed.

"Of course, I love you too mom." I love her smile, that smile. I don't know what to do without her. She saved me, so I'm proud to say I'll do this for her.

"Well we better head downstairs, I'm sure they'll be arriving soon." She smiled softly.

As I sat by the window, sure enough, a silver van pulled up to the house. 

"Move out of the way! My future husband is here!" Jere said excitedly, pushing me back.

"Oh whatever! That's my wife." I ran out after him. "Oh, Ms. Park! I missed you!" I wrapped her in a hug.

"Alice, what did I say about calling me that! 'Ms. Park' makes me sound so old, call me Laurel." She smiled at me. "And look at how much you've grown! Oh You're so pretty, I can't believe it. Your eyes look just like your mother's." She said knowingly, referring to my real mom.

"Aw thanks Laurel." She and Susannah were friends with my biological mom, before the incident. When the boys were out and Belly was asleep, they would show me photos and tell me about them. 

I walked towards Belly next who had been a victim of Jere's sneak attack spinning hug. "Belly! You're finally here! I missed you so, so much. You won't believe how much the boys talked about you."

"No need to lie, Al." She laughed, hugging me.

"You look so different from last year! You've really grown. And no more glasses?" 

"Yeah, I think contacts fit me a lot better." She nodded, looking around. "Hey, uh where's Conrad?"

I smirked, looking at the front door. "Oh there's the big idiot." I grinned, waving him over.