Chapter 1

Part 1: The Lonely Musician

In the bustling halls of the Japanese-styled school in New Jersey, Mychal O'Connor could often be seen sitting alone, lost in the world of his thoughts. He stood out among the other students with his chubby frame, black hair, and brown eyes. But what set him apart the most were his ADHD and Asperger's, making it challenging to connect with others. Music was his solace, and he found refuge in the enchanting notes of jazz piano and jazz organ. Ever since Mychal's adoption by Susan Leon and Michael O'Connor at a tender age, he had struggled to make friends. Their family was full of love and support, but the loneliness in school created a gloomy atmosphere around him, driving his peers away. The cruelty of bullying had forced him to switch schools, hoping for a fresh start. Across the campus, Hikari Minamoto, the bright and cheerful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, was the center of attention. Her mother was German, and her father, a well-known Japanese CEO, had made her a celebrity in the school. Hikari was beautiful in looks and intelligence, but she carried a secret deep within her heart—her love for jazz music. As the most popular girl, Hikari was constantly surrounded by friends, particularly her close companions, Evelyn and Maribel. However, they didn't share her passion for jazz, forcing her to hide this side of herself from them. She was a gifted singer but never showcased her talent, reserving her practice sessions to an empty music room where she could be free. Mychal's world and Hikari's intersected one day when she passed by him in the hallway. Instead of avoiding him like the others, she offered him a warm smile, sparking a flicker of hope in Mychal's heart. He saw kindness in her eyes and, mistaking it for affection, quickly developed a crush on the popular girl. At lunchtime, Mychal found himself sitting alone as usual when Hikari approached him with a friendly demeanor.

"Hey, I'm Hikari. Mind if I join you?" she asked. Stunned by her kindness, Mychal stammered, "Oh, sure. I-I'm Mychal." He tried to keep his composure, not wanting to scare her away.

As the days passed, Hikari continued to sit with Mychal during lunch breaks, breaking down the walls of isolation he had built around himself. Evelyn, who secretly loved Hikari, was taken aback by this unexpected friendship and disapproved of Hikari's association with the outcast. One day, after school, Hikari followed the sound of beautiful piano music to find Mychal in the music room, playing with passion. She watched him, completely enthralled, as his fingers danced across the keys. This was when she discovered Mychal's hidden talent for jazz piano."You're terrific, Mychal," Hikari whispered, catching him off guard. Blushing, Mychal replied, "Thank you, Hikari. I've loved music since I was a kid. It's my way of connecting with the world."From that day on, Hikari visited the music room frequently to hear Mychal play. She realized that her confident and charismatic facade was just a cover for her true self. Unlike the superficial friendships she had, Mychal's genuineness touched her heart deeply. As time passed, Mychal couldn't contain his feelings any longer and decided to confess to Hikari. With sweaty palms and a racing heart, he expressed his admiration for her and how much he cherished their newfound friendship. Hikari was taken aback but handled the situation delicately. She gently let Mychal down, explaining that she valued their company too much to risk it by rushing into anything more. Though hurt, Mychal appreciated her honesty and chose to focus on their bond.

Part 2: A Blossoming Connection

Despite Mychal's initial disappointment, he continued to spend time with Hikari as friends, their bond growing stronger with each passing day. Hikari admired Mychal's genuine and caring nature, qualities she rarely found in her famous circles. Their shared love for jazz music became a bridge that united them further.

On the other hand, Evelyn couldn't stand seeing Hikari spending so much time with Mychal. She knew her feelings for Hikari ran deeper than friendship, and it pained her to see Hikari connecting with someone else. But she kept her emotions hidden, not wanting to jeopardize their friendship.