6. writing letters, addressed to the fire

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX.
instagram and narrative

taylorswiftskid

liked by katmart and otherstaylorswiftskid, watching you for like the fifth time 👍🏻tagged, lilmattys

taylorswiftskid, watching you for like the fifth time 👍🏻
tagged, lilmattys

view comments. . .

notcaitlinclark, what is the last picture?
— taylorswiftskid, lily and i when someone we don't like starts talking
comment liked by lilmattys
— lilmattys, HELL YEAH

monc25, the first pic wowwww
— taylorswiftskid, got me all dressed up for a basketball game 😭 love u tho 🤍

gabsonthemarsh, girl you're so gorgeous
— taylorswiftskid, god i love u

katmart, watching you without me??? CRIME
comment liked by taylorswiftskid

katmart, who are you flipping off 🤨
— taylorswiftskid, the bitch in the mirror duh

lilmattys, us in the last pic 🤭
comment liked by taylorswiftskid

aj.ediger, fav You character? GO!
— taylorswiftskid, love quinn, she's so attractive
— taylorswiftskid, beck from the first season is so attractive too OH MY GOD

kate's pov

As quietly as I can, I open the door to mine and Emma's apartment, slipping inside, and locking the door behind me. I texted her that I was on my way home, but I never got an answer back, so I'm not sure if she's sleeping or not. It's only a little past eleven.

Tonight was great, honestly. I had a lot of fun with Vanessa and we talked a lot, mostly her talking to me, but that's fine. Now, I was just exhausted.

I walked toward my room, passing Emma's on the way. I stop in front of her door, opening the door slowly in case she is asleep. When I peek inside, she's on her bed, awake and watching You on her tv. She looks toward me as I open her door wider.

"Hey, Emi," I say gently, "I texted you, didn't know if you were asleep or not."

She sits up, grabbing her phone that was face down on her nightstand, "Sorry, I didn't answer," she says. She looks tired, "I wanted to stay up until you got home."

I nod, "How are you feeling?" I ask. She said she didn't feel well at the game, so I thought I should check.

She gives me a thumbs up, "Better, thanks for asking," she says. Something feels off, but I can't pinpoint it. I don't like that, "How was your time with Vanessa?"

"It was good. I had fun," I tell her. She gives me a small smile. I love her smile. A few moments of silence pass before I speak up, "I'm gonna shower and go to bed, okay? You get some sleep, too."

She nods with the smile on her face, "Okay, goodnight, K," Emma says softly.

"Goodnight, Emi," I reply, "I love you," I add, not being able to stop myself before the words tumble out. It shouldn't matter. We've said those words before.

Emma presses her lips together, her smile slightly faltered, "I love you too," she says and I close her bedroom door. I shake my head as I run my fingers through my hair, making my way into my bedroom. What is making this feel different?

authors note
kate pov kate pov kate pov