13 | Stairway to Heaven

"The same blight consumed the trees, the animals: It took their life force, and turned them into... this." Leshi's gnarly finger pointed at the charcoaled tree trunks.

My light staff glowed as I grumbled "I'm not my dad."

"Do you deny, then," his voice was a thunderstorm, "that you demigodlings invaded my home? Their home." Shadowy squirrels that lay in deep sleep barely stirred at the booming sound of his voice.

"I mean, invaded is a bit of a harsh word. See, we were just passing through," I said.

"Someone should put a stop to the gossip about us. It's not helping our case." Blake screeched, landing on my shoulder and nipping my ear lobe.

"What we have to do is ignore it," said Indira mildly. "People enjoy seeing other people feel bad. It makes them feel better about themselves. Don't feed the trolls."

Whew. They woke up.

The usual answer from a tree would have been: *swish* *whoosh* *swat* of the branches, judging by the Whomping Willow.

But this walking tree merely shook its crown once-twice, and diminished himself to our size with a loud plop. The man-version of the Master of the Forest was dressed in a humble, dark green  garb, yet his presence still commanded respect while blending seamlessly with nature's embrace.

He said, in a gruff voice: "I believe there are some amendments to be made if you truly wish to prove your benevolence."

Indira screamed. She hadn't heard him speak before.

The Leshi looked highly affronted. "If you aren't ready for the many shapes of Leshi, or for the answer on how to leave the Endless Woods, then the passage shall not be granted! Foolish girl!" He huffed and patted his "I speak for the trees" t-shirt.

Indira glared. "Well, you dress like a duty free shop hippie!"

She wasn't wrong. As a general rule, I hated souvenir shops.

Every time I entered one, one of two terrible things usually happened:

1) There was a ginormous revolving personalized-keychain contraption, but no matter how many times I spun it and searched for myself, I never found my name. Nope. No Dana anywhere.

2) I was honestly just looking! at one of the shot glasses before it suddenly exploded in my hand and I had to pay for an ugly I WAS AT <ANNOYING CITY NAME> glass even though I didn't want one.

Leshi did not have an eyebrow to raise villainously. But his tone managed the effect well enough. "And you'll never know when this hippie uses the forest as a toilet. Enjoy the mystery."

Why was Leshi so rude?

And why did he have a British accent?

Leshi tested the air with his bark-like tongue, getting a bead on her. "I didn't believe it at first, you know. The great powers of the twins, Belobog and Chernobog, harbored in the feeble body of a small girl."

The staff pulsed under my palm, but I didn't reach for my lightning bolt. Not yet.

"Surprise?"I said with false cheer.

"The gods are cruel," said Leshi. "Of course they would summon a useless girl. Of course they have no interest in protecting this world. Despite their immortality, despite their powers, the gods never keep their word. Just like your father didn't." He raised his gnarly arm.

"But I could keep my..."

Blake dove in front of me. And it was only a split second later, when I saw the terrible smile on Leshi's face, that I realized my friend had sacrificed for me.