Chapter Twenty Four

As Alexander made his way back home after spending time with Isabelle, his mind was filled with conflicting emotions. He valued their friendship and appreciated her company, but he couldn't help but think about Elora. Memories of their time together, their laughter, and the love they once shared tugged at his heart.

Entering the grand foyer of the Delacroix residence, he was greeted by the warm glow of the chandeliers and the familiar sound of footsteps echoing in the halls. The mansion seemed emptier tonight, and he couldn't shake the feeling of something missing.

His thoughts drifted back to Elora, and he wondered how she was doing at her grandparents' estate. He missed her terribly, but the weight of his own emotions and the complexities of their past relationship had left him unsure of what to do.

As he ascended the staircase to his room, he found himself lost in thoughts of the past. The decision to end their engagement had been difficult, but at the time, he believed it was for the best. Now, with time and distance, he questioned whether he had made the right choice.

Entering his room, he glanced at the small writing desk where he kept a box of letters and mementos from Ember. It was a bittersweet reminder of their time together. He longed to reach out to her, to talk and perhaps even try to mend their relationship, but the fear of causing her more pain held him back.

As he changed into more comfortable clothes, his mind kept returning to the moments he had spent with Isabelle earlier that evening. She was a dear friend, and he appreciated her company, but he sensed that she might have deeper feelings for him. He didn't want to lead her on or hurt her, so he resolved to be cautious with their friendship.

Ingrid hesitated for a moment before gently knocking on her brother's bedroom door. "Alexander?" she called softly.

"Come in," his voice replied from inside.

Ingrid pushed the door open and stepped into the room. It was tastefully decorated with a blend of classic and modern elements, reflecting Alexander's refined taste. Her brother was sitting on a plush armchair by the window, reading a book. He looked up and smiled warmly as she entered.

"Hey, Ingrid," he greeted her, setting the book aside. "What brings you here?"

Ingrid walked over to him, a slight frown on her face. "I saw you earlier, walking with Isabelle in town," she said carefully.

Alexander's expression turned slightly guarded, but he nodded. "Yes, we ran into each other," he replied, trying to keep his tone neutral.

Ingrid took a deep breath, deciding to address the elephant in the room. "Isabelle seems to care about you a lot, you know," she said gently. "I can't help but notice that she might have deeper feelings for you."

Alexander sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know," he admitted. "She's a wonderful friend, and I value our relationship. But I'm not sure if I feel the same way about her."

Ingrid nodded understandingly. "It's important to be honest with her, Alexander," she advised. "You shouldn't lead her on if you don't share the same feelings."

"I know," he repeated. "I just don't want to hurt her. She's been a great friend to me."

"I understand," Ingrid said.  "Now, enough about Isabelle and me being the overprotective sister. How was your walk with her? Did you have a good time?"

Alexander chuckled softly. "Yes, we did," he replied. "Isabelle has a way of making even the simplest things enjoyable."

Ingrid smiled. "Brother, I would like to tell you that Charlotte invited me to pay them a visit at their grandparent's estate."