Chapter 24

Through the countless hours of the night, I stared into the flickering of the fire in my common room. The cold stone floor chilled my thighs, almost numbing my bare legs, but the warm leather of the couch I leaned against helped.

It wasn't the temperature that brought me from my doomed ponder; but it was three warm but demanding voices. "Come on. Up you get," Mattheo voiced out from behind me. His strong arms slid under mine and he lifted me to my feet. I wanted to sink back down like Jelly but he kept a firm grip stabilizing me.

I made a displeased groan. Immediately following a complaint, "let me die and wallop in misery." Blaise and Theodore let out loud chuckles while I only felt Mattheo's chest rumble in a burst of quiet laughter.

"Dramatic much?" Draco started walking out from the midday shadows.

Theodore stood back up from the couch. "Come on. We're going to the Great Hall for lunch," Theodore ushered me in an uplifting tone.

"Fred told us you didn't take the news so well," promptly after Mattheo chimed that thought so casually I gave him a nasty side-eye.

"I took the news great. I think I am doing good for someone who found out they are dying in a month," I list fully stated.

They smirked at my dramatics and I rolled my eyes at their lack of compassion. "Lack of compassion?" Mattheo laughs amused, "I would say holding you like a toddler to help you walk is very compassionate," he teased.

I gave him a confused look on how he knew I was thinking that. "Did I say that out loud?" I question my possible slip up and wonder the possibility of this happening other times.

"Uh- Yeah," Mattheo kept his eyes on the approaching Slytherin table. "Can you sit by yourself or do you need me to fold you like a Barbie doll?" His sarcasm amused the group.

"Damn, look at Potter," Draco smiled with a cruel gleam in his eyes. When I turned I saw a pale and disheveled figure of Harry Potter. His skin was sickly, and his eyes held a dull appearance.

"He is not doing great..." Theodore states the obvious, unsure if he should be worried or amused.

"That makes our job easier," Blaise pushed the food around on his plate and the other three boys seemed unaware of the suspicious comment Blaise had just said.

"What job?" I sit up a little straighter and look between themselves and I. "We aren't doing this. I am sick of being left in the dark."

As stiff as statues they looked ready to crack at any moment. "It's- Ugh. Just-" Draco ran his hand over his face as he tripped over his words.

Mattheo refused to make eye contact, instead he stared down at his hands. "Is this about the war?" I cautiously question.

Two quiet nods confirmed another terror making our demise in a month so much worse. Not only would I be watching my classmates fall before me, but at the wands of my best friends. "Please tell me you are joking." My breath was stolen from my lungs. "S-say you are on my side. Tell me that you are fighting with me." I beg my voice to grow louder. When the silence of no denying thickened in the air, I pushed myself to my feet. My back hit someone and when I turned to apologize I saw an irritated and depressed looking Harry Potter.

"Oh it's you! Just what I need. The one person who is messing everything up in my life!" He snaps at me as if I was the cause of every issue in his life.

"I'm sorry? It wasn't my intention to bump into you?" I had the forming suspicion that this outburst was a cause of something else.

"No. You never mean to do anything do you? But it's people like you who always, ALWAYS take things from me!" Harry smacks the table angrily causing me to flinch at his aggression. "People like you took my parents from me! People like you are the reason everything goes wrong!" His anger was erupting like a volcano.

"Bro-" Blaise and Mattheo both stood defensively but I held my hand out to signal them not to interfere.

"All I have ever been is nice to you," I calmly state, trying not to escalate anything especially my own annoyance.

"Oh? Really?" Harry steps closer crossing his arms in an unbelieving tone.

"Harry, man I think we should just go," Ron gently tries to tug his arm but Harry hits Ron's hand away.

"You are being unreasonable, Harry. She loved him as much as you did!" Hermione states before her eyes widen and she covers her mouth.

"...Who?" I place my hands on my hips and I tilt my head.

"Oh shut it will you? You constantly take take take. That is why your father abandoned you! Because being around you is so exhausting! People like you don't deserve anything good." Harry was fuming but the main source of his fury was hurt. "You couldn't even let me have a god-father?"

"What do you mean by that?" A surge of my anger was washing through me as soon as he mentioned Sirius. "He may not be labeled as a 'godfather' or any relation at all but he is just as much a father figure to me as he is to you!" I step closer to Harry ready to push him for his disrespect.

"Oh really?" Harry laughs with a barbaric energy spilling from him, "well I hope it hurts just as much when I tell you he died in the Department of Mysteries! And if it weren't for your precious Death eater parents and friends he would still be here!" Immediate regret washed over him. "W-wait-"

My whole body froze. I was paralyzed in shock, even so my breath ceased. My voice was merely a whisper, "...Dead?"

The Great Hall went silent as Harry and I stared at each other with two very different expressions. Ron's steps even stuttered as he backed away and Hermione looked at me with sympathy and compassion. "Yn... I- We-" Hermione sucked in a sharp breath as Harry swallowed the lump in his throat.

The world around me blurred and spun. My balance shifted and it felt like the walls were caving in. Until the last thing I remembered was running. My emotions were beating under my feet as I ran like they always do.