A little longer

I vomit into the toilet, an olive-yellow spreading through the water like ink. I clutch my stomach in pain and disgust. My remaining vision blurs as I wipe my face with toilet paper. my train of thought is interrupted by a frantic knocking at the door.

"Sunny?? A..Are you okay?" Basil's voice squeaks through the door. He creaks the door slightly and stares in horror at the scene before him. His eyes widen and his jaw drops to the floor.

"W..WHAT THE HELL SUNNY??" Basil screams hesitating as he enters the bathroom.

He rushes up to me sitting in the corner beside me. I hear the Ramirez family chatting and eating beneath us. I look up to see Basil playing with my hair to calm me down. It felt... nice

"What is going on?" he asks quietly. He stopped playing with my hair and looked into my eyes. I silently prayed that he would continue.

"I. ummm.. I don't like meat. After eating spoiled steak for so long... I can't handle meat anymore... sounds weird..." I say slowly, I'm still not too used to talking. I probably sound like a toddler learning to talk. We slowly stand up and take my hand.

"We can leave if you want, I'm sure Kel would understand an.." the blonde reassured me.

"NO!" I quickly interrupt.

Basil smiles shyly.

"Should we continue eating?" he pleaded silently

I nod, he leads me downstairs by my hand and takes me to the Ramirez family. Hero looks at us weirdly but shrugs it off. I feel bad for not eating his food, but I prefer it to vomiting again. Basil lets go of my hand and takes his seat,

"Sorry about that" I whisper, still sounding like a newborn.

Kel's mom smiles at us.

"Sorry hun but your mom called, you're going to have to stay here a while longer" I frown, knowing my mom would probably never pick me up after finding out the truth. The reality of the situation was clear, it was obvious that everyone else was living in denial though. At least everyone else forgave me... I think?

" Is she still setting up in the city?" kel asks between shovels of food.

"Dunno hun but your welcome to stay here as long as necessary"

I look into Basil's eyes, he fakes a smile and tilts his head slightly.

" I'm going to have to head back to college soon so you can sleep in my bed until your mom picks you up."

I feel tears swell up in my eyes.

"I don't deserve...... forgiveness. Let alone.. Kindness" I whimper.

Hero stands up and hugs me, I fall into his hands letting him embrace me. He smiles at me and pulls back, leaning down to get to my height.

"It's okay sunny. Mari found peace."

I nod slowly and smile. He walks past me and enters the kitchen with his plate in hand.

If Mari found peace, why can't I??