Chapter 20*

"Have you been avoiding me?" Daniel asked as he caught Laura alone in the conference room of the Undead Mansion a few days after the meeting.

Well, if trying not to run into you while I tried to figure out a way to save your sorry ass is termed avoidance, she thought, then hell yes, I've been avoiding you. "Of course not," she replied. "I've been busy, that's all."

"Yeah, I can see just how "busy" you are." He made a face at the empty notepad in front. "Congratulations honey, look like you've graduated from gate lady to bookkeeper. Between you and I, that former job didn't suit you at all."

Laura would have felt insulted but she was already used by then to Daniel's attitude. "Tell me, are you really this annoying or do you just work at it?" she asked anyway.

"You know what?" He pretended to think about it for some seconds. "It's hard to decide." He shrugged simply at the end.

Just as Laura thought to return to her notes- which, to be honest, she was contemplating on what to fill it with- Daniel placed a large leather-bound book directly in front of her; presumably placing it right on top of the notepad on purpose.

"Fighting, the Undead Way," she read the title. "What's this for?"

"What else, honey?" he returned with a look like that was the most ridiculous question he had ever heard. "To help you, of course."

Laura made a confused face. "I'm not sure I follow," she said.

"Look," Daniel explained, holding her hands like she was a child about to the most important lesson of her life, "there's actually no definite rule in fighting, but learning the basics will give you a great edge for advanced.

"Now, it's important for you know that even if you practise from this book a thousand times over, I'll still be able to kick your butts from here to the high heavens with ease," he smiled at his arrogance; at least that was the way Laura saw it, "but at least, you'll be more challenging than last time."

Laura didn't say anything for about a couple of minutes. She wasn't sure if she was supposed to be angry, or insulted, or even grateful at Daniel's statement; there were certainly parts that deserved at least two of those reactions. But finally she decided on, "Thanks, Daniel. That's so sweet."

"You're welcome." He smiled again.

Laura nodded her response and returned back to her notepad. But just as she put pen to the paper, Daniel interrupted again, this time with his hand.

"What now?" She quirked an eyebrow; she really was starting to feel weirded out by his actions.

Thing is, the original vibe Laura got from Daniel was that he was a loner; a murderous loner whom she was definitely on his kill list; and while curiosity- and if she was being honest, the need to save him- had constantly put her in his orbit, she actually wasn't expecting him to change.

But there he was in front of her, asking for something that almost looked like a connection; and truth be told, she wasn't sure if she could handle it coming to being.

Seemly oblivious to her reaction though, Daniel put on his most charming smile as he took Laura's hand. "Come on, honey," he said, "take a stroll with me."

"That will never happen, Daniel." She jerked her hand out of his.

"What?" He looked genuinely stunned and Laura was even more confused. "I thought we were friends?"

"No," she returned, grabbing the notepad and the book off the table she made to take her leave. "Never."

Looking back as she passed the door, Laura saw Daniel still sitting at the conference table, the look on his face like wounded bear cub.

To be honest, she couldn't pinpoint a particular reason why she had shut him down like that. It wasn't that she didn't want to be friends with him. He was okay, and if his rogue reputation was looked past, he was actually cool to be with.

But even with that knowledge, the very thought of two of them laughing over a joke filled Laura with a sense of dread and it confused her to no end.

God, you need a psychologist, Laura, she thought as she changed direction from the initial route to somewhere else, or at least someone who can help put you back to reasinbility.

And as luck would have it, she already had that someone in mind.

****

Frederick was reviewing an intelligence report with one of the hunter leaders over a bottle of red wine in the dining hall when Laura walked in.

"Your newblood's here, boss," said the hunter leader and Frederick looked up, a smile immediately on his face when he saw her approach.

"Thanks, Ian," he said. "We'll pick this up later."

"I'll wait for your call." Ian picked up the report papers, down his wine in one gulp, and left the table for Laura to take his place.

"So, what's up, Laura?" asked Frederick, offering her a glass of wine which she took, nodding her thanks.

"I need your help with something," she said after a sip. "It concerns Daniel."

Frederick's face immediately took on a serious expression the moment Laura mentioned Daniel; and not in the concerned way it usually was with her. He seemed annoyed but she wasn't sure if it was the rogue undead himself or the fact that she was the one bringing him up.

Anyway, he gave her polite smile as he asked, "What about Daniel?"

"I think he knows more than he's letting on about Anton," she replied, "something that can affect all of us and most especially, put him in danger."

But to Laura's utmost surprise, Frederick shrugged. "So?" he said.

She quirked an eyebrow. That was definitely not what she was expecting him to say; and she made him know that too. "What do you mean by "So?", Frederick?" she returned, a little angry now that the nonchalance was sinking in. "I mean, aren't you a little bothered by any of it?"

Frederick gave her a wry smile. "Daniel isn't the ray of sunshine that you want him to be, Laura," he said. "He's always been full of secrets, and pretenses, and a lot of other things that I can't bring myself to mention to you right now. There's a reason why he's high on the rogue list, isn't there?"

Laura didn't want to bring herself to believe what Frederick was saying, even if he did have obvious good reason to say them.

Now, she wasn't being naive; at least she didn't believe that she was. She admitted no undead had ever been named a rogue for being a saint; and she had experienced Daniel's capability for evil firsthand.

But she had also spent some time with him and saw that there was good in him; good that had no reason to feigned and was definitely worthy of salvation. That was the part she was fighting for.

"What was his crime anyway?" she asked Frederick.

"I can't tell you that, Laura," he replied, and looked really apologetic about it too. "But I suggest you take my advice and watch your back around him."

"And I suggest you watch his also," she returned.

Frederick didn't respond as he took out his phone and pretended to dial a number; his subtle way of ending the conversation which Laura knew so well; she had seen use it more than a couple times on Damian. He didn't agree with her and she with him.

But even with the impasse the argument had ended in, Laura still felt pretty good as she took her leave and Ian returned in her place. Thing is, while Frederick might have openly disagreed with her, the fact remained that he was going to contemplate on everything she had said; he always did.

And that's all I need from you, Frederick, she thought as she turned back to see him watching her with an intense look in his eyes even as Ian was speaking to him, for you to think about the part of Daniel's that was, and may still remain, your son.