Foreign Delicacies

As the wheels of the aeroplane screeched against the runway, Hamza Kardar heaved a deep sigh. His muscles ached from being on the plane for the past 24 hours. His non-direct flight from Australia made three stops: Malaysia, Sri Lanka, and the United Arab Emirates. But after this tortuous journey, he was finally in Multan — the place where he once found solace. Fate had been generous towards him, giving him a chance to revisit this land that had profoundly shaped him.

As the flight attendant announced their arrival, a chorus of Alhumdulillahs resonated throughout the cabin. The air in the plane vibrated with clicks as passengers unfastened their seat belts. In no time, Hamza Kardar stood outside the plane in the lobby with his luggage. He breathed in the air of his sweet homeland, feeling the warmth of tears shed on once-lonely shoulders as hugs and heartfelt reunions unfolded around him. It reminded him of the time he and his parents had departed for a better life in Australia.

"Dadoo mujhe nhi jana," a young Hamza wept as he held his Dadoo's shawl. His mother tried to drag him away, but he refused to let go, fearing the distance would separate them.

"Mera bacha, aap pareshan mat ho. Mein jald aap ke paas aaoon ga," consoled his Dadoo, Tahir Kardar, his voice filled with tenderness and assurance. Young Hamza looked up at his Dadoo, his eyes glimmery due to the tears. "Pakka waada," said Tahir, as if sensing the unasked question in his eyes. Hamza's grasp on his shawl loosened, and he let his mother drag him through the doors.

Hamza felt nostalgic as the memory of his departure hit him. It earned a laugh from him as he recalled his Dadoo's broken promise, but at the same time, tears welled up in his eyes, reminding him that he was the only one to return. His parents had succumbed to death in a horrific accident in Australia. He was lucky to have survived the tragedy.A look at the master clock was enough for Hamza to hail a cab and go home — it was time to get his heart back.

Kardar house stood in the scorching heat of the city of saints — the walls losing their colour but still holding countless memories for its residents. The servants moved around the house cleaning away the dust and bringing the Kardar house to its actual glamour. The corridor floor vibrated with the footsteps of a young girl carrying a tray with two teacups in it. 

"Assalam o Alaikum, nana jaan", Mehrosh greeted her nana abu as she made her way through the door.

"Walaikum us Salam, Ru", replied Tahir Kardar as he put away the newspaper he was reading and turned all his attention to his granddaughter. 

Mehrosh gave a cup to her Nana jaan and picked the other for herself. Just as she was about to speak, she remembered something. She put her cup down and dashed out of the room to get the something. Tahir smiled as he watched his granddaughter follow her daily routine of forgetting the cookie jar. Just then the doorbell rang. Tahir felt something different about this doorbell. 

"Ji, aap kon?", asked Rumi as she opened the door.

"Mujhe Tahir Sahab se milna hai", Hamza suppressed his laughter. He didn't want to cause any commotion, and this was the safest way to keep it a surprise till the last moment. Tahir Kardar often had visitors over and as the house help, Rumi was asked to lead people who called upon him to Tahir to avoid any inconvenience for his visitors. 

Rumi looked at the visitor curiously, not recognizing him. "Aap Tahir Sahab ke rishtedar hain?" she inquired politely.Hamza smiled warmly, deciding to play along with the surprise. 

"Ji, main unka door ke rishtedar hoon," he replied, his excitement barely contained.

Rumi nodded, accepting his explanation. "Aaiye, main aapko ander le jati hoon," she said, leading him through the familiar hallways of the Kardar house.