93: A Sorrowful Farewell

Ruka continued to hum a soft, heavenly tune whilst gently caressing her fingers through her son's beautiful, flaming tresses.

Gentle breaths leave Kyōjurō's lips as he continues to sleep soundly with his head resting in his mother's lap.

It never ceased to amaze Ruka how much Kyōjurō resembled his father as she smiles warmly down at her lovesome and bountiful son.

However, she slowly lifts her head upon hearing footsteps approach her and glanced to see the seraphic tennyo, who'd guided her son.

"Ruka.." Her voice is soft and kind, but dire.

"It's time.." She says.

The dark haired woman nods, understanding completely as there's no need for anymore explanations.

"Ok," is all Ruka says, before glancing back down at her sleeping son and begins to gently shake him awake.

"Kyōjurō!... Kyōjurō!" She calls his name, causing the flame-haired male to stir.

"Mmm..?" Kyōjurō groans, his dreams of joy and never-ending love vanishes─though not entirely as he remembers (or more so, knows) where he is.

"Wake up, my son."

Beautiful red, circled with gold eyes fluttered opened as Kyōjurō stares up at the celestial heavenly sky, before landing on his mother.

"Come on, get up. We have to go.." She gestures him to rise.

"Hm, go? Go where?" He asked, lifting his head from her lap.

"There's to time to explain. We have to leave." Ruka stands, before gesturing for him to follow her.

Curiosity courses through Kyōjurō's soul as he blinks in confusion.

"Is...is it time for me to leave purgatory and cross over into heaven?" He asked innocently. "Am I ready to be with my all heavenly father and join you and my ancestors?"

He knew once the dead eat from the bounty of Yomi, they belong to it for forever and always.

For a brief moment, Ruka sees that little boy whom heaven gifted her with. That very same little boy who'd she taught to be strong and save the powerless and weak. She couldn't help but smile at her son.

"Oh Kyōjurō," she chortles and Kyōjurō's eyes widen slightly; he is surprised to see and hear his mother laugh.

It's been so long that he nearly forgotten how lovely it sounded. The last Ruka had laughed was when he (Kyōjurō), Shinjurō, and Senjurō tried to bake her a cake on her birthday. Though, it had been a total disaster that ended with the kitchen floor being completely covered in flour, eggshells, cake batter, and frosting; but at least the cake had came out okay (sorf of). Nonetheless, the three had succeeded in making Ruka very, very happy.

"No, my son. There's something even better that awaits you. Now come along♡." Ruka urges him to follow.

Kyōjurō is confused by this, 'what could possibly be better than being in heaven?' He inwardly pondered.

Without question, he stands from the engawa and follows his mother into the heavenly garden.

──────────