Chapter Ten: Showdown

Days passed following the tournament's end. It was the furthest Continuation had gotten, and they had a very solid run. Spirits were high, and Jouko was hailed as a legend in Sensha-do, considered to be in the leagues of the Nishizumi and Shimada families. She was also famous in Finland, being regarded as the Sensha-do counterpart of the great Finnish sniper. Jouko had brought Continuation High School to new heights in the tournament, but there was still one thing that she wanted to do. She was able to fight against Ooarai in the semifinals, but she never got the chance to really fight it out with Miho, instead being preoccupied with her teammates since she had, you know, sniped her from a kilometer away just as the match had begun. Following the tournament's end, Jouko met with Miho, thanking her for the great match Continuation had with Ooarai and made a request for a possible exhibition 1-on-1 match to take in a few weeks, to compensate for the lack of which during the tournament. Miho eagerly agreed, and both sides prepared accordingly.

When this one-on-one was announced, many Sensha-do enthusiasts were eager to watch it unfold. Due to the scale, though, seating was limited to the students who participated in Sensha-do, though thousands upon thousands watched on television, either at home or at a public location where many could watch the TV at once. At the venue itself, there were no stands, but the booths, tents, or tanks that gave residence to the spectating schools, each close to one another to converse and intermingle with each other regarding the match. Ooarai, Saunders, Kuromorimine, Pravda, Chihatan, Anzio, Continuation, pretty much all of the schools were there. In fact, Maho had travelled from Germany to watch the match in person, this was how big of an event this was to be. The two tank teams talked a bit with the spectators before the formalities. Jouko and Miho had their supporters, but Miho obviously had more, given she was after all the girl who saved Ooarai from being shut down, twice, and she had cooperated with many of the schools to help fight against All-Stars, who also had some of their representatives to send as spectators to this match between legends, including Alice and the Bermuda Trio. The usual gigantic Leopold viewing screen provided footage and the map, showing the dispositions and movements of both tanks.

----------------------------------------

JGSDF Sensha-do Match Field B-11

"The rules are simple. You are to engage in your own terms, and first to three white flags popped out will lose, and the other team will win. Your tanks have been modified to allow for no significant damage so the match will go on past the first white flag. Now, both teams, please bow."

"We wish you a good match!"
Both teams bowed and rushed to their tanks. Taking their predetermined positions, they waited for the Bofors gun to fire and signal the start of the match. Miho and Jouko outlined the plan on how to deal with one another, knowing the other was extremely cunning and unpredictable. Miho knew of Jouko's sniping skills, having experienced it first-hand, and elected to strike before Jouko could find a position. On the other hand, Jouko knew that Miho would probably try to take her out before she could pull off the shot, and decided to head straight for close-quarters combat. However, she dithered at this option. The battlefield was alike to where Saunders and Continuation had fought in the 62nd Tournament. Maybe she should go for the sniping option, and try to find a place where Miho would least expect, but wouldn't she be expecting her at the least expectable place? Shouldn't she just go for the obvious position? It was hard to make a choice, so Jouko elected to wait for Miho's movements before making a decision.

----------------------------------------

"Jouko-san is unpredictable, which means she may be expecting us to expect the unexpectable. That means we'll have to meet her the most expectable way, as she might expect us to meet her in an unexpected manner."

Mako barely understood, given she was already about to drift off to sleep.
"Miho, your confusing language is making me even more groggy..."

Yukari didn't fully comprehend the memo either.
"Nishizumi-dono, with all due respect, can we please not be all philosophical here?"

Sigh. "Fine, in other words, Jouko-san might be expecting us to be unpredictable, so we'll have to be predictable ourselves. That may catch her off-guard. Is that better?"

With somewhat muted sounds of affirmation, Miho gave orders to head for the forests. It was risky, but she intended to engage in a sniper duel with Jouko, and hopefully Hana would deliver. She was a good gunner, everyone knew that, but this would prove who was better: the Finnish talent or the Japanese schoolgirl, who was an expert at gunnery. There was also the question of who was a faster loader, and which tank had a better loading compartment, given how important of a role they would play in this battle.

Suddenly, a knock came from the outside. It was Ami, who was holding a radio. It was playing some sort of music that didn't sound Japanese in its style, but was very awe-inspiring in its grandeur, emotion, and that hymn-like tune near the end. It was triumphant, and it seemed expressive of the composer's feelings. I'm asking Jouko what this music is after the match, it's so beautiful.

-------------------------------------

"Today is probably going to be the hardest we'll ever fight yet. A major disadvantage of ours is the fact we don't have a rotating turret, meaning that we'll have to make many maneuvers. Hannes, I hope our training has served you well, we've been practicing hard before every tournament, and I have faith that you will perform very well. Now, it is time to honor our Finnish homeland, with the great piece by the great composer."

Just before the battle began, Jouko brought out her small speakers and plugged them into her phone, which began to play Finlandia by Sibelius. It had been played several times before each of the matches in the Sturmi, but since the audio in their tanks was being broadcast alongside the Panzer's audio for the spectators to listen in to each team's plan, this was the first time Finlandia was heard by people outside the Sturmi.

Inside, the four Finns sat silently, taking in each individual note as they mentally prepared themselves for this hard battle ahead of them. Memories of Finland, their homes, the countryside, the peaceful view and the towering trees in the forests, it was as if they were being transported back, back to the familiar landscapes that they had lived in for most of their lives. They also took in Finland's history, all they had learned in school. How determined Finland was to break free, especially in the turn of the 20th century, how they had resisted against overwhelming odds and prevented their country's subjugation.

The spectators were in tears as the piece reached its conclusion, and as the final notes faded away, all broke into standing ovations, as if to honor this great composer who had so perfectly encapsulated the spirit of Finland, a roaring lion that never wavered, never rested until Finland was free.

"Now, my friends, let us have a good match ahead of us."

------------------------------

The Bofors gun signaled the start of the match, and both tanks began to move to gain sight of one another. Jouko's binoculars produced little results, and after several minutes of waiting, she decided that Miho hadn't moved either. "Hannes, move towards the forests on those hills to get me a better view. I believe Nishizumi will be awaiting me there since that is where most typically expect me. Keep an eye out yourself, I cannot look at all directions at once."

Hannes' eyes were glued to her visor, as her muscle memory did the driving. Löfström was already carrying a shell, ready to load another as soon as Jouko fired, and Frisell was sitting as an effective spectator, but a willing replacement should Löfström need rest. She had been training to be stronger herself before the match, and she had produced some results. Jouko's upper body was outside the cupola, eyes looking through binoculars.

Minutes passed as the Sturmi passed through the forests. No sign of that Panzer IV yet, but Jouko sensed it was close by. Regularly checking behind to see if the rear was clear, she focused on the trees ahead and the open ground below. However, she noticed a glint come from the opposite hill's forests, and seconds later, another, and squinting to get a better look, she saw the Panzer IV, about to take a shot. "Hannes, move 2 more meters, then stop!" As the Sturmi ground to a halt, a large explosion sent dust and earth into the air, forcing Jouko back down inside.

-----------------------------

"I see something in the distance. It's moving."
Hearing Miho's report, Mako stopped the tank, and opened her hatch to get a better view using her binoculars. Sure enough, there was the Sturmi, on the opposite hill. Closing the hatch, she told Hana of her discovery.

"Sturmi to our left, it's on the move, so you must aim ahead. No wind to worry about."
Hana adjusted her aim around 4 degrees to the right as she took aim. Confident in a hit, she yanked the trigger. A blast from the barrel sent her shell flying towards the Sturmi, but before it could inflict a match-winning hit, it unexpectedly stopped just before meeting the shell's path. "Yukari, another shell, quickly!" The Sturmi was turning, and the gun was pointed directly at them. Seeing that they were about to be toast if they didn't move now, Miho yelled at Mako to drive. Slamming the throttle, they managed to get out of the way before a shell impacted just where they previously were. 

As the sounds of the shell being loaded in reached Hana's ears, she quickly took aim and fired another shot at the Sturmi. She watched in dismay as the tank reversed enough to merely bounce the shot, and began driving away. Miho kept her eyes on that Sturmi as it began moving again, and as the hills seemed to converge so did the ranges get closer, meaning easier hits. Expecting the Sturmi to stop any time, Mako had her ankle ready to press her foot against the brake to allow Hana to fire properly.

---------------------------------

"Hannes, get ready to stop again on my mark, and turn the tank right as hard as you can once it is fully stopped." Seconds passed as Jouko waited for the perfect opportunity to strike, and seeing Hannes drive ahead of the Panzer, giving the Sturmi enough distance to complete its maneuver, gave the order.

"Turn!"

With a screeching halt, and slow turn, Jouko adjusted her aim as the Panzer also stopped and readied to fire. With sights on the Panzer, she readied to fire. Unexpectedly, the Panzer drove forward again, prompting Hannes to turn as well to help keep Jouko up to speed with her aim. At the same time, both tanks fired, and in some miraculous stroke of lucky bravado, the shells collided with each other, ricocheting and ultimately landing far from where each of the tanks were.

----------------------

The spectators watched in amazement as the duel drew out, impressed at the sheer capabilities of both sides' crews.

"Darjeeling-sama, both drivers from both tanks are very good! But, it seems it is about to turn into a close-quarters battle. Both are very good at that style of combat as well."

Darjeeling took a sip of her tea and stated her reply to Pekoe.
"It seems like that indeed. Have you ever heard this saying?"

Oh, boy, here we go again.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

Well, at least this made, some sense. That saying had been applicable to the 63rd Tournament's Finals, where Maho's Tiger being stationary allowed Ooarai to drift around and take them out from the rear. Now, with things heading off to a more fast-paced battle, things were now going to get exciting, very exciting,
especially for Rosehip.
"Oh boy, the exciting part begins! The Queen of Speed looks on with eagerness and curiosity!"

--------------------------

"We're never going to make progress in this sniping battle, move down towards the open ground, and force them to come to us. I'll see if I can do our signature move on them."
Hannes opted for the shortcut, that being driving the tank down the relatively steep hill to get there, rather than taking longer to traverse the terrain. "Hang on, everyone. Try not to let anything fall." As the Sturmi bumped along down the hill, the inside was shaking rather violently, but Löfström's tight grip helped keep the shells from falling out and ruining the tank. As the ground leveled, Jouko took a glance to her rear, and saw the Panzer giving hot chase. Looks like we'll be using that old maneuver again.

Hannes swerved in each direction, avoiding the Panzer's shells whilst simultaneously attempting to gain ground in order to complete the maneuver. However, they were nearing a dead end, and the Sturmi couldn't be able to gain enough distance. So, Jouko instead opted to try to shoot into their side. Waiting for the perfect opportunity, Hannes continued to barrel the Sturmi towards the treeline in front of her, until at the last possible moment, she yanked the lever to the left, making the Sturmi swerve, barely missing the tree stumps. "Hannes, drive forward, now!" The Sturmi slowed, and Jouko fired a shot into the Panzer. It was a hit, but not enough to knock it out. Just in time, the Sturmi accelerated forward, barely missing what would've otherwise been a knockout shell.

--------------------------------

"Mako, Hana, she's going to try that old drifting tactic again. Try to keep up and fire before it gets away!" Miho had been studying Jouko's tactics in preparation for the match. She had watched Jouko's signature maneuver of drifting to fire a knockout shell at an enemy tank. It had already worked several times, in Continuation's battles against Koala Forest and Saunders. She didn't want to be the next one on the list of victims to this trick.

As the Panzer closed the distance, Hana prepared to turn the turret either way, as Mako prepared to slow down and turn. Sure enough, the Sturmi swerved to the left, avoiding the trees in front, and stopping to fire. Mako slammed the brakes, and began turning as Hana turned the turret at the same time. Locked on the Sturmi, she prepared to fire, but the Sturmi fired first, rocking the tank for a few seconds. Just as Hana fired, it bolted out of its position, causing the shell to miss by inches.

Cursing under her breath, Miho ordered the tank to give chase again, but this time it was different. The Sturmi was driving in reverse, and its gun was pointing towards her tank now, meaning that unless Mako's driving would help them avoid incoming shells, Jouko would be making a white flag pop up from her tank within a minute. 

-----------------------

Rabbit Team was watching on, cheering on Anglerfish as the battle developed. All except Saki, who was staring at the sky, pondering her existence as usual. "Look, the Sturmi's in reverse now, and it's firing at Miho-sama!" Asuza was looking on, hoping for Miho's victory, but that Sturmi's crew wasn't letting up. It was fighting very hard, and its commander was as good as Miho. Karina joined in the support. "Come on, Mako-san, avoid those shells!"

The other Ooarai teams were joining in on the support. Momo was fanatical, waving and jumping around excitedly as she screamed at the top of her lungs for Miho, whilst Anzu and Yuzu were more reserved, but still excited. Hippo Team was making countless references whilst Anteater was playing games, hoping their high scores would encourage Miho. 

Not too far off was the All-Stars University Team. Alice was cheering on Miho, waving around her Boko doll as if to spiritually inspire her. Conversely, the Bermuda Trio was on Jouko's side, especially Rumi. They had first-hand experienced her capabilities on the field, and wanted to see her win against a Nishizumi, albeit an unconventional one.

Continuation was all for Jouko, given how she had led the team to greatness in the 74th Winter Cup. Mika had been training with Jouko to help simulate what it would be like facing the Panzer. Mikko was by far the most excited, and like Momo was moving around like crazy, shouting at Jouko to beat Miho.

Kuromorimine was mainly cheering for Miho, but were impressed with witnessing Jouko's commanding at full show, especially Maho, who wanted to get a glimpse of how Jouko fought in person. At this point in the match, the majority were still in Miho's circle, but had gained great admiration for Jouko.

----------------

"Keep trying to avoid them, Hannes. On my signal, drive to their left and drift us to where the gun is facing the rear. You got it?"
"Yes, Commander! Awaiting your orders!"

Jouko was directing Hannes on where to drive, shouting for her to turn the lever left or right as she continued to fire shots at the Panzer, whilst also looking back occasionally to make sure the Sturmi wasn't going to smash into some obstacle and get itself knocked out. But, it was approaching the hills again, and Jouko did not want to get entangled in another sniper duel. So, with that usual perfect timing, the order was relayed.

"Now, Hannes, forward!" Slamming the brakes, and pushing the lever towards drive, Hannes forced the Sturmi forward, shooting past the Panzer IV and drifting it to where it was now in a position to land a devastating blow towards the Panzer. Everything was perfect, and Jouko pulled the lever, launching a powerful shell towards the Panzer's engine.

"Impact! Panzer IV's first white flag has appeared! The score is now 1-0 in the Sturmi's favor!"

-------------------

The first white flag was out. Miho had just been outplayed, by drifting no less, the same tactic that had worked out for her against Kuromorimine she was now at the receiving end of. Now, Jouko was winning. She really is as good as they said she was. "Mako, no time to mourn. Drive us into the forests, it's our best option right now. We're not out of this match yet, we still have two white flags to go!"

"Miho, do you think we can really win a sniper duel? We got very lucky last time, I don't know if we will be this time, given we're facing, at least from what I've heard, the granddaughter of a friend of the White Death himself."

"Have faith Saori, we've been in worse situations before, we've always been the underdog in every match we've fought, I think we can win this match, as long as everyone works to the best of their ability. Is that understood, everyone?" Shouts of "Yes!" were enough to give Miho motivation again. They had pulled off upset victories before, why shouldn't this match be any different?

--------------------

Ami's voice boomed over the loudspeakers, announcing that the Panzer's first white flag had popped out. Cheering was isolated to Continuation's students and a few dozen interspersed across the other schools, but there was applause from everyone, even from Ooarai. Indeed, Jouko was not a force to be reckoned with. Those maneuvers were truly a sight to behold. 

"Excellent maneuvers from the Sturmi, Commander Nishi! The Panzer is moving to the forest to fight the Sturmi in an honorable sniper duel again! What do you think will happen?" Fukuda was very excited, this was the most heart-stopping match she had seen yet, and after the first white flag, she was split between support. Initially, she was on Miho's side, but Jouko's handling of her tank and the crazy maneuvers it had been able to pull off were more than enough to balance out her opinions.

Nishi always preferred close combat rather than duking it out at long-range sniper duels. "I suppose Jouko wins in the sniper game, since she is, of course, a master of sniping. But it is very uncertain in close combat, especially in thick forests." 

"That Jouko's re-earned my respect, what great plays from her this match!"
"Indeed, Anchovy-san, comparable to your great plans which you always come up with!"
Anchovy wanted to spit back, "Yeah, great plans you always mess up," but she stopped herself. This was, after all, just them watching a match that involved some of the greatest combat Sensha-do had seen, probably ever. Carpaccio chimed in to give her quick opinions. "Personally, I think it may be a draw. Both sides are very good." The other Anzio girls agreed, though some still harbored sympathies towards Miho.

------------------

"Commander, I'm driving us to the opposite hill again, to see if we can try a sniper duel for the second time." Jouko, to everyone's surprise, did not go for this option. Miho was unpredictable. If she went into the forest, and the Sturmi on the opposite hill, they couldn't be seen, unless Jouko could get lucky in spotting, but only if. The Panzer would be invisible if they went for the sniping option, and could ambush the Sturmi at any time, and if they were fast enough, could put another shot into her tank, making them the winner.

"No, we won't be doing the sniping battle again. Follow them into the woods, we can't afford to risk losing them." Hannes reluctantly agreed, and followed the Panzer IV into the forest. Jouko readied to fire at the Panzer in front of them, hoping they wouldn't be spotted trailing the tank, allowing another free white flag via a hit to the engine, and with Löfström's quick reload, hopefully a second shot into the engine which would get them that 3rd white flag and win them the match. 

Minutes passed as the Sturmi slowly crept closer to the Panzer, waiting for the perfect opportunity for Jouko to take the shot. At last, after several minutes of following, Jouko had a perfect shot at the Panzer. However, upon closer inspection, its turret was pointed directly at the Sturmi. Without a moment's hesitation, Jouko fired her shot, and at the same time so did the Panzer.

-----------------------------

As the Panzer IV made its way down the trail, there had been no sign of movement from the other side. Was the Sturmi lost? That wasn't possible, given how used Jouko was to terrain like this. Were they already in position, and waiting to fire? She had several opportunities to do so already, and so far, not a sound from the other hill. Miho was pondering these possibilities, but she suddenly took into account one that stood out over the rest. Is it following us? Her blood ran cold, how could she have missed such an obvious possibility?

"Hana, turn the turret around, now! It's behind us!" Without hesitation, Hana cranked the wheels that turned the turret, and stopped just in time for everyone's fears to be confirmed. There is was, the Sturmi, driving right behind them, ready to take the shot. "Mako, once Hana takes the shot, drive down the hill! We've got to get away before we lose this match here!" Miho dropped back into the tank as Hana prepared her shot. Looking from the cupola, she watched as both tanks fired at the same time.

There was an explosion from the engine, and another white flag burst from the hatch. In the split second before Mako made her turn, she saw a white flag pop out of Jouko's tank as well. We can't afford to have an engagement like that again, we're one flag down. We have to somehow even out the score, so we'll forget about the fields. Holding on for dear life as the Panzer rumbled down the hill, Miho gave Mako her next orders. "Mako, don't go into the fields this time. Full throttle, and head up that other hill. Hana, try to get another shot against that Sturmi before we lose our third flag."

---------------------------

"Impact on both tanks. Both tanks have had a white flag pop out! It's 2-1 in the Sturmi's favor!"
There were more cheers this time. Miho had managed to get a white flag out of the Sturmi, and there was a bigger chance of evening out the score and possibly winning the entire thing. It had come as a complete surprise to everyone that Jouko hadn't gone for the sniping option a second time, but what was there to expect? Jouko didn't always go for the obvious.

Maho was rooting for her sister, but with a 2-1 disadvantage, she wasn't too enthusiastic.
"Well, Erika, it seems my sister is doing very well against Jouko, but all it takes is one more shot from the Sturmi and the Panzer is done. I have faith she can turn it around, however. After all, she has won the most unwinnable of battles."

Maho was confident in her sister's abilities, a feeling shared by her second-in-command, Erika.
"Both commanders are unexpectable, and Nishizumi has done well to counter many of the Finn's maneuvers. But that initial drift attack puts her at a disadvantage now. In terms of skill, both are dead equal, and it is only a matter of time before the Panzer is eliminated, unless, as you said, Nishizumi can even the score."

Kuromorimine was taking notes from this match as well, thanks to Koume's suggestions. If they wanted to get that 10-time championship win streak, then this was a perfect opportunity for learning. Already they had seen deviations from the traditional Nishizumi Style, and it had worked well for them in the tournament, beating a well-entrenched Pravda in the quarterfinals.

Continuation was full of a mix of disappointed and encouraging noises, as while Jouko was now left with a white flag, Miho was down 2, and there was still a chance to land a knockout blow.
"Mika-san, they are going back into the forests, this time on the opposite hill."
"It seems the winds are in favor of the trees, and even more so given how important they are to them."
Again, the cryptic wind comments from Mika, but what would you expect.

"Come on, Jouko, show them what you've got! Put another shell into that tank's rear!!"
Mikko was getting very pumped up now. Jouko was close to victory, just one well-placed shot and Jouko would get that sweet win. She was thinking of what she'd do to Jouko once she won. Kisses? No, that'd be a bit weird. Hugs? Eh, less weird, we'll go with that. The Continuation students were going crazy as well, shouting at Jouko to hit the Panzer's engine, and get the win.

"Hey, Shark Team, how much you wanna bet on the match?"
"How about this, Ogin: 50 dollars, and 3 Hiroshimas go to me if Miho wins!"
"Hold it, Cutlass, 75 dollars and 4 Hiroshimas!"
Murakami was the last to bet. "Watch it, Rum, I'll be getting 80 dollars and a Nagasaki!"
Flint didn't bet, she was too busy singing about how Miho was going to win the match. She was that confident. With Shark Team's bets settled, they went back to watching the match.

-----------------------------------------

"Hana, any sight of the Sturmi?"
"Not yet, but I feel it's getting close!"
"Get ready to fire, and try to mess up their aim so we can make a getaway. We're one white flag from losing the match, so make sure they don't get an opportunity to fire and get a hit on us."
Miho was dead-focused now. Her mind was running every possibility. Jouko was not letting up the chase, she just knew it. If she tried going for the snipe again, she'd just ambush her and get that second flag and even everything out. Surely Jouko wouldn't fall for that mistake like Miho.

Mako continued driving up the steep hill, and as they reached the trail, Miho felt a shot whizz by, followed by a hit on the turret's armor skirts, ripping several off. The turret itself was relatively undamaged save for several scratches that came from the skirts being torn off. Dropping back inside, she ordered Mako to go in reverse and Hana to rotate the gun once more. With every ounce of strength she had, Hana cranked the wheels to turn the turret again, this time facing forwards. Sure enough, right behind them was Jouko, ready to fire another shot at the Panzer.
"Hana, quickly!"

-------------------------

Jouko had them. The Panzer was right in her crosshairs, aiming for the turret ring. This one shot was going to ensure the Panzer's defeat, and her victory 3-1. This was it, she couldn't afford to miss here.
There you are, this match is as good as wo-

The Sturmi was violently shaken by a blast straight into their frontal armor, throwing off Jouko. The dreaded sound of a second white flag emerging from their tank meant only one thing.
With the score tied, they had to get that Panzer before it got them in their next encounter.
"Hannes, after them, quickly! They're getting away!"

Slamming the throttle, the Sturmi bolted against the Panzer IV, but it was already way ahead of them for Jouko to really get a good shot in. Maneuvering along the trail, several shots came in Jouko's direction, as the Panzer's advantage of having a turret made itself manifest, especially as the trail curved, prohibiting the Sturmi's aim. They couldn't run for long, however. The trail was going to end soon with it fading into the open fields below. "Shall I take the shortcut, commander?" Jouko refused this offer. "Wait for them to exhaust more ammo, and keep on the path. Try to avoid incoming shells best you can."

Indeed, the chase continued down the trail, and back into the open fields. Jouko was prepared for anything the Panzer would try to pull off. She was extremely focused on that match-winning shot, they had already been duking it out for the past 2 hours. As both tanks emerged into the bright fields below the hills, something clicked in Jouko's mind: the finals of the 63rd Tournament.

---------------------------------

"Impact on the Sturmi, a white flag popped out! It is now 2-2 in nobody's favor!"
Cheers and sounds of excitement erupted all around. It was now tied, the next critical hit would determine the winner of the match. Miho had a chance to actually win it! She just had to not mess it up here. There was little dialogue as the noise died down, everyone focused on the next decisive minutes of the match, invested in who would emerge victorious from this final encounter. There couldn't be another, there was bound to be a critical hit from either of the tanks.

----------------------------------