four.

IT'S BELLY'S BIRTHDAY, a big event for the summer. It's the only birthday out of everyone, and the boys (and Carlee) go all out to make sure it's a memorable birthday every year.

They're all up before Belly is even awake, and Carlee had walked over to help set up with Laurel and Susannah. Meanwhile, the boys (minus Conrad, who's sullenly eating cereal) help Jeremiah get the pancakes ready.

"Morning, everyone." Belly announces her arrival, and there she is; on the day of her sweet sixteen, looking ecstatic.

"Happy birthday!" everyone says in unison, greeting her with wide smiles.

"Happy Birthday, Belly Baby!" exclaims Carlee, wrapping Belly in a tight hug as soon as the girl enters the room. "You look so beautiful."

"Thanks, Carlee." Belly blushes, smiling as she pulls back from the hug.

"There's the birthday girl," gushes Susannah, also enveloping Belly in a hug, "looking like a vision in floral. Happy Birthday."

"Happy sweet sixteen, Bells." beams Jeremiah, who has been telling the boys how he needs her birthday to go perfectly.

"Happy Birthday, Princess." Nate hugs Belly, smiling at her as he pulls away. He whispers, "Sorry for the other night." She shrugs, still smiling. "I think my gift will make up for it, though."

"Now Belly Button's getting old finally." Steven holds a plate of pancakes above his head with a grin. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, everyone." she gushes, her face a bright shade of red from all the attention she's receiving. Belly's shy, Nate knows that.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." Laurel says, coming up behind her daughter and smiling.

"Thanks, Mom." mumbles Belly with a grin.

"Your Mickey Mouse pancakes are ready."

"Actually, I'm not really, uh, hungry." Laurel looks disappointed; her face drops.

"Shall we open gifts?" Susannah asks swiftly before an uncomfortable silence can overcome the happy group.

"Oh, you're gonna love mine." Jeremiah grins as he holds up a small box. Conrad stays silent.

The group moves into the living room, Belly sitting on the big couch so everyone can watch her. Nate sits on the floor beside Steven's chair with Carlee beside him. He's holding their shared gift in his lap, and Carlee is practically shaking with excitement.

Belly opens her mom's gift first. It's a book of poems that Belly studies closely. Nate can tell she's not completely interested.

"It's a first edition." Laurel explains slowly, looking hopeful. "I got it from a rare book dealer."

"Thanks, Mom." says Belly with a somewhat forced smile.

Laurel rolls her eyes, tilting her head. "Turn to the bookmarked page. It's your favorite poem."

"Oh, yeah." Belly's forced smile fades into a real one, her eyes scanning the page excitedly. "I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this. 'For whatever we lose..."

"'Like a you or a me,'" the rest of the group joins in, "'It's always ourselves we find in the sea.'"

"Thank you." Belly beams at her mom. "I love it."

"You're welcome."

"Okay, open mine now, Belly." Susannah hands Belly a medium-sized box, which Belly tears the wrapping paper off. Inside are some sizable pearls that Belly gasps at.