five!

[irl!]

—————

[irl!]

MADI SIGHS, SITTING BY MATT on the couch, trying to give him his space.

shockingly, she was able to get him out of his room and to eat something.

but, now? he's been sitting on the couch, numbly scrolling through pictures on his camera roll—i think you can guess of what and who.

"matt?" madi asks, not shocked at all when he doesn't answer the first time.

"matt, come on." she says again, growing some hope and relief when he moves his numb stare from his phone to her.

"you know she told some fan that her and jake are just friends." she says, trying anything to get him to open up.

"it doesn't matter." he mumbles, before going back to his phone.

"why?" madi asks in confusion—she thought that this would make his mood better.

"because." he says blankly, not really giving her any real explanation or reason.

"matt, what do you mean?" she asks again, but to no avail.

with an annoyed sigh, madi quickly grabs his phone, shutting it off and placing it on the main table in front of the couch in the living room.

"what do you mean by that?" she asks, distracting him from his defensive feelings.

he sighs, glancing down at his now fidgeting hands in his lap for a second.

"matt?"

with a little bit of irritation filling him, he groans. "just because she says there's nothing going on between them, doesn't mean there isn't anything between them now and before."

"are..." madi trails off, trying to really make sure she knows what he's saying. "are you saying that she's lying about that? and when you said before, are you talking about before or when you guys were together?"

matt's look of acceptance and silence speaks volumes and answers her question for her.

"yes...yes, i think she's lying and i know for a fact that it was before and when we were dating." he answers, his voice really showing how he really feels.

madi's speechless, gaping at him.

"no...no, no, matt. grace would never do that to you. besides when you guys first broke up, she was a mess. and she's still a mess now." madi says, not believing it for a second, but believing that matt truly does think this.

"maybe she was just upset that we broke up because of it." he states, shrugging as if this doesn't actually bother him.

"matt," she calls seriously, drawing his attention to her. "she was a wreck when she told me—trust me, that's not it. besides if that was it, why would she go to mcdonalds—out of all the places that she could've went for one of her first times going out since the breakup?"

the lack of emotions on his face is nothing but fake, but it's enough to convince madi. "she brought him with, so maybe she finally wanted to replace me and move on."

madi's speechless, once more, and she tries to convince him more, but he's not having it.

when she realizes that he's not going to listen to her anymore, she gets up in shock, deciding to go out to get some air, to distract her from the stress of worrying over her friend.

—————

LIKE MATT, GRACIE IS ACTING in a similar way as he is.

it's been a few hours after her and jake stopped for food at mcdonalds and they're back at her house now, but she's very much back into that familiar state of heartbreak.

while matt keeps thinking that there's something more between her and jake, she's only thinking about how he seems to be moving on and the thought of him possibly meeting someone new is killing her.

not even being surrounded by her friends is distracting her.

jake's presence isn't even helping.

after gracie staying in the same position on the couch, scrolling on her phone on matt's instagram account—seeing how better off without her he is—sabrina sighs and gets up.

before she even gets the words out, jake sighs and gets up. "i know," he says, his eyes catching his best friend's unmoving body in worry.

"i'll check in on her later. but, let me know if anything changes?" he asks, sabrina nods, going to walk him out.

while sabrina and jake are out of the room, nessa grabs her best friend's phone out of her grasp.

gracie gapes in offense and shock.

nessa shakes her head at her and places it on the glass table in the middle of the living room.

"don't give me that look!" she says in a serious tone as she grabs the roku remote and turns the tv on, going onto gracie's favorite movie series on disney plus.

"you can't spend the rest of your life on that couch, pining after him like this. it's not fair to you." nessa says in a lecturing tone as she turns on that first movie that's in the specific order of marvel and turns up the volume.

gracie wants to say more, but when she sees what's playing, she backs off and sighs, immediately going to pay attention to the tv.

matt used to be the most important thing that could comfort her, but since she doesn't have him in her life anymore, marvel comes in first this time.

nessa sighs in relief that turning on marvel worked as sabrina walks back into the room.

she's shocked to notice that gracie isn't completely distracted by her phone, but then notices what's playing on the big tv.

nodding to nessa, she goes into the kitchen to make some snacks and grab some drinks that'll probably help distract and comfort gracie from everything else.

but, they all know that it won't do that forever.

—————

A/N: hey guys! here's a new chapter! but, just be prepared, the next chapter is going to have some drama with jake and matt. not in the way you think though because there really isn't anything between gracie and jake, but he's still insanely protective of her. anyways, i hope this is enjoyable!
—hannah <3