Chapter Thirteen

When Ioreth finally finished, Boromir let out a gusty sigh of relief. The throbbing slowly faded into memory, the sharp sting hot on its heels and when she passed him a towel, he did not hesitate to swipe the sweat from his forehead. "Do I need worry about this again?"

She shook her head. "I do not think so, no. We will keep an eye on it, same as I've been doing."

"I'd rather not have these stitches opened again if we can avoid it."

"Take care then, and hopefully, we won't." She passed him his tunic. "So, I understand you and the tavern keeper's daughter have become quite close."

He paused, half into the shirt as he said, "I beg your pardon?"

"Do you think I did not know?"

He pulled it completely over his head and emerged to find her offering up a knowing look. "Know what? Gabby and I have been friends since we were children."

"You are children no longer, though."

"Ioreth," he held her stare easily, "just say whatever it is you are thinking."

"My lord, are you being careful?"

"Careful?"

She rolled her eyes. "Do you take me for a fool, Boromir? Think me so old that I know not what happens between men and women when they are no longer children?"

"I think this line of questioning is silly."

"I know she spent at least one night with you and someone told me they'd seen you leaving her family's tavern this morning. So, I ask again, are you being careful?"

He sighed softly, lacing his tunic as he shook his head. "No, actually. I've not been careful with her at all."

"Boromir."

At one time, the note of disappointment in her voice would have had his defenses up, his hackles raised. But this time, he bit back a grin as a hint of color appeared along her sharp cheekbones. "What?"

"You are not a boy any longer. Surely you know—"

"Trust me, I am well aware of what the consequences could be. And they do not trouble me."

"Would they trouble her, though?"

"I don't know. She's voiced no concerns to me." The sting in his chest faded completely, thankfully.

"Would she be comfortable doing so?"

"I think so, yes. She and I have known long enough where I think she would be more than comfortable with asking me to make certain I took precautions."

"You should speak with her about it. To be sure."

He sighed, sinking back into his chair. "I do not think I would be upset, if she were to become pregnant, Ioreth."

"Ah, but how does she feel?"

He offered up a sheepish smile. "Don't all women want babies?"

She did not smile back. "No, they don't. And do not be a man who sees women only as mothers, for you will be selling her short if she has no desire to have children. You may be in for a rude awakening, should you desire them while she does not. Remember, she has been running her parents' tavern on her own for some time now, and has done so smoothly. She may not wish to give that up."

"But, that was before. Now that peace should be returning, so will those who sought refuge elsewhere."

"You don't know that. Many may choose not to return." Ioreth's iron gray brows pulled low. "Talk to her. Make certain you both want the same things. And do so before you think to take her to bed again."