Reminisce (Pat/Non) - Behind the Wall

Author's note: Part 5/??

The work in the greenhouse was tiresome. Keeping all the flowers alive and in full bloom took a lot of strength from Non.  As he finally stepped outside, the cold breeze created goosebumps on his hot skin. Non glanced at his watch, realizing he was late for the meeting with Pat. Without thinking, he rushed along the white wall, breaking through the undergrowth and trees. He arrived at the designed spot breathless and scared the older man won't be there anymore. 

"P'Pat?" Non asked, hopefully looking at the top of the wall as if it could tell him the secret behind it. 

"You came." Pat's excited voice answered. Non let out a breath he didn't realize he held until now. 

"I thought you ditched me." The relieved laughter echoed through the air. 

"I am sorry, the work in the greenhouse took longer than I expected." Non apologized. A small smile spread across his pale face as he talked with the doctor. Though he didn't know what the man across the wall looked like, Nonsee strangely didn't care. He slid on the ground, leaning against the bricks, trying to calm his erratic breathing. 

"Did you run here? I can hear your heavy breathing." Pat asked worriedly. 

"I did." Non confirmed. 

"You didn't have to."

"I was scared you won't be here anymore." Non admitted. There was a brief silence, and Nonsee feared the older left.  

"I was scared too. Scared you won't come." Pat said. 

"You know, Non. Many people abandoned me, and for a moment, I thought you would be one of them." The sadness in Pat's voice broke Non's heart. He could only imagine what reminisce could bring up this painful tone. 

"I can't promise to be always there for you, P'Pat, but I will try." Non said. 

He didn't know how long he could run to meet him before his mother found out and locked him in his room.