7: Mentality { III }

TW: Mention of mental breakdown, death, strong language
[ Korekiyo's POV ]
The tense air didn't help me one bit. I could hear everyone's watchful eyes, I could feel the usher in the room, and I could taste the tensity. I tried to remain in my straightened posture, but the mention and the question aimed at me made me hunch over slightly, like my nerves weighed my back. What was I supposed to reply with?

'Well...' I tried thinking of an excuse, but seriously, what was I meant to say?

Was I expected to start confessing and releasing my emotions? It was too soon, and I certainly didn't trust anyone, even Rantaro, ever since he gave me that look. Even he thought me a murderer. Well, even if I was, who said I'd killed Himiko? Sure, I'd only need three more kills, but even so, since being caught would result in 'execution', I'd prefer to kill the minimum of two. Although, that still wouldn't be enough for sister...

''Well' is not a fucking answer!!!' Miu shouted across the room, the words echoed through my head like her's did, back when she hadn't fallen ill and lost the spirit in her yelling voice...

'...I...' I'd keeping shouting at myself to just spit something out already, a lie, the truth, whatever! But my mind was racing with different voices and I couldn't focus on just one. Why did Himiko have to die then? Why now? Why so early?!

The culprit was rather an idiot, or desperate. And I didn't really care which one, they killed her and are now probably laughing at me from wherever they stood. They know what they've done, but they'd rather watch me suffer.

All of a sudden, I got hit with a lie that could be covered in truth.

'I was reading. I found a good book on seances in the library.' I lied, but of course, it could be seen as truthful. Now I would just have to drag it out to be seen as such.

'Is there even books like that in the library?' Tsumugi asked, 'I didn't really check...'

'There is.' Rantaro confirmed, and in my mind I was thanking him over and over, 'he actually showed me some of it while we were in the library.'

I'm so glad Rantaro is here, he's like the friend I always wanted, but could never have, since they were all meant for sister...

'Actually, while I left the book on my bed for a moment, I had heard shuffling around.' I recalled.

This time, it really was the truth. It was strange, but the truth nonetheless.

'Huh? You did?' Rantaro replied with a confused expression, 'this is the first time I'm hearing about this.'

'I apologise...a lot has been happening lately.' I explained.

With all of this going on, Himiko's death most significantly, I haven't been able to think straight.

'You don't have to apologise, it's understandable, after what happened.' Rantaro nodded at me, no longer confused.

'So..you're saying someone was in your dorm?!' Tenko shouted, 'and you just remembered!?'

I didn't say anything and simply nodded. Tenko was so obnoxious, which was usual, however, her voice echoed much more in the hollow room, and she seemed to be even louder, she was most likely upset over Himiko's death. I cannot blame her, in fact, I related to it. For me, it was my sister, and for Tenko, it was her friend. I felt a sense of sympathy for her, though I knew she wouldn't return it, nor would she even want it, since I'm a 'degenerate male' and all. I imagine out of all the men here, she finds me the most repulsive one of them all... and it certainly didn't help that I'm being accused of her - probably crush - friend's murder.

'Tch, degenerate male...' She mumbled, yet everyone could audibly hear it.

She scowled at me from where she was standing, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. She wasn't intimidating by personality, but her strength is to be feared.

'What about other alibis?' Kaede suggested, 'that way we can find out who it really was!'

'I think that's a great idea...' Shuichi agreed.

'If Shumai agrees, so do I!' Kokichi yelled while lifting his arms behind his head.

'W-why do you keep calling me that...?' Shuichi questioned Kokichi, while maintaining an unimpressed expression plastered on his face, somewhere under that secretive cap.

'Because you're my Shumai!~' Kokichi answered.

Shuichi pulled his hat further down, but no one focused on him, considering there was more important matters, such as the fact our lives are on the line if we don't solve this murder case.

'Gonta was having help from Ryoma!' Gonta beemed, 'Gonta and Ryoma were looking for bugs!'

Ryoma crossed his arms and nodded slowly.

'Did you find any?' Tsumugi asked with a nervous face.

Gonta frowned and shook his head while clenching his fist.

'Oh...' Tsumugi pushed her glasses further up, readjusting their position so she could see more clearly.

'But we did see Miu and Keebo.' Ryoma replied.

'You did? What were they doing?' Kaede looked at him, her interest peaked.

'Hm. I believe Miu was chasing Keebo across the schoolyard.' Ryoma continued, eying Miu.

'That is true.' Keebo confirmed, blushing slightly, but not so much you would notice it from standing at the opposing podium from his.

'Hell yeah I was!' Miu shouted, putting her hands on her hips as if she accomplished something.

'Me, shuichi, Kaede and Kaito all have alibis. We were all together in the game room.' Maki admitted.

'That's right!' Kaito yelled while clashing his fists against each other.

Shuichi nodded and Kaede smiled which were subtle signals to agreement.

'Now, about the other alibis...' Kaede spoke up.

A/N: Yoo so uh I had a major break because I've gotten into voice acting a character, so uh, that's cool! But yeah take this new chapter, hope y'all enjoyed. I'm waiting to write the blackened reveal, I can't wait!!!
Words: 1008