« Company »

Mun returned from a short journey to beat up a level 1 evil spirit about eleven o’clock in the morning. “ugh I’m so hungry…” he grumbled, his stomach rumbling loudly enough for the entire neighborhood to hear.

When he returned to the noodle store, he immediately noticed two ramen bowls on an empty table. Motak neared the boy, looking a little nervous. “Hey, would you mind bringing this bowl down to Hana? She’s moping over something, and neither Ms. Chu nor I know how to approach her, physically or mentally.”

Mun nods and slightly blushes as he thinks about the fact that he might be able to help Hana better than her older teammates. Hana and Mun have been growing closer and closer every day. He needed a friend, and she needed one too. They’re both young adults and usually, at their age, they have a lot more connections. But, as counters, they had to filter out most of those relationships to focus on their more serious responsibilities. Having a peer to talk to is therefore reassuring. But Mun started to have feelings for Hana since the very first day they’ve met. Her attitude, her kind heart at nature, her fighting skills,… everything made her perfect.

Mun went downstairs and took the two bowls. He could hear loud banging coming from the training room, which he assumed was Hana hitting the punching bag. Mun reluctantly knocked on the door, hoping for an answer. "Leave me alone.” Mun’s ears rang with the soft familiar voice of the young woman, although she did not sound happy. “I brought you some lunch.”

Mun heard footsteps approaching and the door opening. The girl appeared exhausted, but her eyes lit up when she saw her teammate. “It’s you.” Mun tilted his head, confused. “…yes?” Hana then motioned for him to come inside. She turned away before Mun could even consider refusing.

The teenage boy placed both bowls on the table, and the two began eating while facing each other. They were both so hungry that they didn’t even think about talking to each other between their mouthfuls. Mun, who found the silence quite awkward, gave Hana one of his fried eggs. She looked up, puzzled, but quickly realized the gesture of sympathy and slightly lowered her head as a ‘thank you’.

Both finished quickly, and Hana was ready to get up when Mun requested to stay sat down. “You should digest before working out again.” That’s when he spotted red around her eyes, indicating that she’d shed a tear or two before he got here. When she caught him staring at her, she turned away. “Would you like to talk about it?” Mun inquires, hesitantly. “I’m sure it would help, but right now is not the right time,” she murmured. Mun was able to define her embarrassed expression on her face.

The boy was picking up the bowls and was about to leave. “I’ll leave you alone, then.” That’s when he felt a hand pulling on his t-shirt. “Please, stay.”

He nodded, his face slightly flushed. He was behaving like a dog following requests, yet he knew the most vulnerable person in this room was Hana. “Of course,” he says. “Just let me bring these up because Motak is about to clean the dishes.”

He crossed Ms. Chu as he was bringing up the empty bowls. “How is she?” Mun shook his head. “Not in top form. But she asked if I could keep her company, so I may be able to help her after all.” Chu didn’t seem surprised in any way. “You are always really helpful to her. Oh, and you must know something.” The lady got closer to Mun’s ear. “She adores you.” Chu laughed as his face grew red.

As Mun entered the training room again, Hana was sitting against a wall. Not knowing exactly what to do, he went to join her, only a few centimeters away from her. He wanted to hug her tightly, but he knew she would doubt that he might look at her memories. But the young woman realized what Mun wanted to do and that he had no bad intentions so she turned to face him with open arms. “I trust you.”

The boy’s eyes lit up as he hugged Hana. He purposefully put his arms around her neck so that she could feel more embraced. Around 10 seconds after, Mun tried to pull away but Hana wouldn’t let go. The hug continued and Mun figured the girl would pull out of it when she’s ready. She then grumbled something only Mun could hear.

Did she really say that?... did she really ‘I love you’?...

“Sorry, I didn’t hear yo-”

I love you.

Hana slipped her arms out of the hug and took Mun’s hands in hers. Both had their legs crossed, hand in hand, and were facing each other. “That was the problem. You probably don’t like me that way, which is why I was sulking like a little kid. I’m sorry, but I just can’t seem to shake these feelings off.” Mun giggles a little, which confuses Hana. “I had no idea you were so oblivious,” Mun says. Their faces are mere millimeters apart as he leans forward. “If I find out you were joking after what I’m about to do, I’ll kill you,” Hana whispers. She kisses Mun before he could do anything.

Both were enjoying the kiss and they pulled back a little after. “I love you too, you idiot,” Mun whispers as they both went back in for another kiss.

“So… are we dating now?” The boy asks politely

“Of course we are, dumbass.”