Chapter Three

Another scream pierced the stormy skies as Nina slipped on the mud near the porch. She groaned as a rock scraped her skin. "Excuse me, madam." A voice behind her called out from behind. Nina froze as she heard footsteps approach her.

"Let me help you miss," Nina looked at the male in a security uniform voice as his hand collided with Nina's shoulder. "Thank you," She whispered as he helped her up. His face looked familiar.

"Were you one of the security men for the  launches?" Nina asked as he led her to the bench on the porch. The male nodded, "Yes, apparently, the launches were stalled at the port because of these thunderstorms."

An eerie ambiance filled Nina's surroundings.

"What a first impression as a visitor on the island; I've always wanted to visit spoon island." The male commented, "I heard the garden and stables are nice." He added as he turned to Nina, whose eyes were already glued to him. "I hope I have a chance to see them before the night ends," He added.

"Except there's an island filled with people whose lives are endangered. No one has any idea who's committing these crimes," Nina commented, "The storm." The male used slyly as a redirection.

"This wasn't in the forecast," Nina commented, "I've never seen it this bad, and I know that it's going to get worse." She continued as her eyes observed the angry skies.

"We work, we plan, we do everything right, and in one moment, it can all be destroyed — but don't worry, this storm is God's way of cleansing the surface." Nina looked at the male before both turned to the front door, where a loud-pitched scream rang from the inside.

*****

Gunshots rang on the second floor as Spencer, Trina, and Kristina silently worked their way up. Another scream rang out, followed by a soft grunt.

A person in all black appeared in front of the trio as they made it to the 3rd step before the top. Immediately sensing danger, Spencer pulled the trigger — grazing the person as they moved to another escape route.

He swore as he chased after the masked individual.

"Spencer!" The voice of Ava called out as he came into her sight. Trina and Kristina sprinted up the final steps, meeting Ava with a slightly injured Josslyn.

"Joss!" Trina screamed out as Ava wrapped Josslyn's arm with her scarf. "I'm going to take her to the left wing, Elizabeth —"

"There was a massacre there; we've already been there," Spencer quickly explained as he kept an eye out for the suspect. "That person can't go far; I got them at the shoulder." Ava showcased her pistol after tying the scarf tightly around Joss's wound.

"What happened?" Trina asked as Joss stood up.

Josslyn's head shook, "I was looking for Dex after Krissy, and I got separated, and I felt someone following me. I wasn't thinking and ran up here hoping Sonny or someone would be here and thank God for Ava." Joss rambled.

"I know where Sonny is; I'll take you," Ava's voice as they began moving. "He and Curtis are trying to figure out who could be doing this; the men Sonny has — which is basically four, Dex and Gavin included — are scoping the island...."  Ava's voice trailed off as the prior masked figure had a partner standing beside them on the balcony opposite them.