nine

JAHANGIR.

-

I watch her through the red see-through curtain infront of us. She has her dupatta put over her and she's staring at the floor. She looks upset and confused and I get it.

The Qazi asked her the question and she was silent. Like how she had been for a whole week.

Chachi nudged her and she blinked. "Qabool hai." She whispered.

After asking her the question three times, her answer remained the sir.

"Qabool hai." I stared at her as I answered after the question was asked.

-

I enter the room and she's sitting on the bed. She looks at me and then looks away. She looks thin. It makes me worried.

I start to feel awkward. I look around as I slowly walk to the bed. She shifts slightly away as I sit.

"Uh-" I stop myself and clear my throat.

"Aslam o Alaykum." I said and she doesn't respond. I feel embarrassed and I close my eyes tightly as I look away.

Get it together, Jahangir. You can't be intimidated by a 15 year old. Her eyes are glaring daggers into my soul, I can feel them on my back.

I should just get up and go to the bathroom to change. Give her some time. Or should I go to the garden? Sleep there?

I reach into my pocket and take out a small red velvet box. I turn to look at her and she quickly looks away. I open the box and hand it to her.

She looks at it, surprised, and then at me. She reaches her hand forward, slowly and then takes the box from me. She observes the ring and then turns away, I take the time to fully observe her. I look up and down, seeing how beautiful she looks in that white dress. My bride. As she turns back, I look away.

She hands me a box. "Mere liye?" I confusedly asked.
(For me?)

She doesn't answer nor do something just keeps staring at the box. I reach forward and take it from her hand. I open it seeing a silver ring with a black stone.

"Th...anks." I said, she doesn't respond. I wear the ring on my ring finger and smile softly as I stare at it.

"I know." I started with a sigh "this is new.. and unexpected. But- I hope we can understand each other.." I finished as I looked at her.

She keeps quiet, looking at the cushion cut diamond ring in the box. I turn to face her and I grab the ring from the box softly and she looks up. I reach my hand forward as a sign and she hesitantly rests her hand on top of mine.

I slip the ring in her ring finger and she pulls her hand away after I was done but I grabbed it keeping it in place as I looked at the ring in her finger. I lean in and I feel her tense, it brings a small smirk on my lips.

I look up in her eyes as I press a kiss on her hand. She softly gasps, getting red. I make up my mind at that moment that I love getting these reactions out of her.