Chapter 3

Palm Court

     "Ah, Mr Andrews! Wonderful of you to join us," Captain Edward Smith greeted upon noticing Mr. Andrews approach the table.

     "My sincerest apologies for the delay, gentlemen," Thomas offered but did not elaborate on its reason as he settled himself quickly into one of the wicker chairs.

     "Not to worry, Thomas," Bruce Ismay piped up from where he sat, just to the left of Thomas. "Now that we are all here, gentlemen, I have a proposition to discuss."

     Bruce was eager, that much was apparent by his lack of concern over Thomas's tardiness. Under normal circumstances, such a late arrival would gave garnered a sarcastic comment, at the very least.

     Appearances were, after all, very important to the man.

     "Go on," Thomas ventured, cautiously; he could practically smell where this conversation was headed. When business men – like Mr. Ismay – wanted to have a say in things, the results were generally grandiose ideas for success that, more often than not, yielded undesirable outcomes.

     When a career is dependent upon achievement, one's judgment could quickly become clouded by fame and success.

"I've noticed that we have not yet lit the last four boilers," Ismay directed a pointed look at the Captain.

The older gentleman's eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion, "No, but we are making excellent time."

    The attempt to pacify Mr. Ismay seemed to fall short of its intended affect. In fact, Thomas was left unsure if the man had truly heard the other at all.

     So, he continued.

     "Imagine the headlines: 'Titanic: the Fastest Ship to Cross the Atlantic,'" Mr. Ismay's eyes gleamed with ambition as his voice became more animated,  "It would be an unprecedented achievement, and White Star Line would be at the center of it all!"

     He was pleased with himself, that much was obvious.

     Once Mr. Ismay's theatrics were over, the Captain leaned back in his chair, a serious expression crossing his face. He exchanged a brief, knowing glance with Thomas – a shared concern wordlessly acknowledged – before raising his hand gently, a gesture to calm Ismay's excitement.

     "With all due respect, Mr. Ismay, the Titanic's due glory will come in time. There is no need to go chasing headlines."

     "I'd have to agree with the Captain on this one, Bruce," Thomas decided to join in. "While it may be enticing, Titanic was designed to be the largest, safest, and most luxurious passenger ship – not the fastest."

       It was clear that Mr. Ismay's previous excitement about his grande idea waned drastically at the apparent reluctance of the men that sat before him. His hands, resting atop the table, clenched momentarily before releasing; the action was barely noticeable, but Thomas saw.

     The man was growing frustrated.

     Suddenly, Ismay let out a jolting laugh, as though they were all indulging in light-hearted banter, "Nonsense, Thomas! Titanic is a feat of engineering and architecture. She can handle more speed."