Chapter I: Fog of Gold

"I am Melania, Blade of Miquella."

Those were the words that repeated in Nathan's ears as he gripped his controller in frustration.

He glared at the "YOU DIED" plastered in red text on the screen.

"I know your name you bitch!" He shouted, as of the character on the other end of the screen could hear him.

It wasn't the first time he'd heard the phrase. Nor the second. Or third. Or tenth. Or even twentieth. He'd long lost count of how many times he'd heard the words spoken from Elden Ring's hardest boss.

It's not like the boss was impossible. Several people had beaten this boss before. Someone had even killed the boss without being hit using nothing but two katanas and a jar.

Nathan just needed to be better.

He picked up the controller to start again, but he suddenly heard the tune of an alarm next to him.

He glanced down to see his phone alarm ringing. Below the time was the reason he'd set the alarm in the first place: 'Work'.

Nathan just sighed before standing up and turning off his console before opening the door to his closet and taking out his uniform.

As he set them on his bed he reached down and turned off the ever-ringing alarm. No more then 3 seconds after he put on his uniform, his phone rang again. This time, however, it was a call.

He picked up his phone and held it to his ear. "Sup Sam." He said as he turned and grabbed his keys from his dresser, followed by his wallet.

"Do you not work today?" Samuel asked through the phone. Beyond his voice, Nathan could heard a myriad of other noises. Mainly the clashing of bowling pins and mixed chatter.

"Yeah, I was just getting ready. I'm coming in a bit late today." Nathan replied, holding the phone slightly away from his ear at the bombardment of sound.

"Ok good, cause we are getting slammed over here. Basically every lane is occupied and we got a wait list half a page long." Nathan's friend explained through the phone just as Nathan finished getting ready.

"Well I'm not sure what you expected, it's a weekend. People wanna' go bowling." Nathan replied as he grabbed his keys and walked from his dormitory. "Anyways, I'll see you soon to help with the apocalypse."

Nathan hung up just as Samuel began speaking again. With that he raced off to his car.

***

"Wow, Sam wasn't joking when he said we were packed." Nathan mumbled to himself as he walked into the bowling alley and starting towards a section in the corner where employees could set their things.

Every bowling lane was completely full with shouting groups for each. Some in excitement at getting a perfect strike, and others in frustration as their ball hurled itself into the gutter.

Nathan set his drink he'd brought on the table in the employee section before turning around to come face-to-face with another employee holding a handful of dishes, presumably from one of the bowling lanes.

"Oh, hey Nathan. I didn't know you worked today." She said as she weaved her way around Nathan to set the dishes onto a black cart nearly spilling over with empty cups and plates.

"Hey Heather. I just came in later then normal. I sent it in the work email." He said explained.

"You know no one ever looks at those except the managers." Heather noted as she put the plates onto the ever-increasing pile. "Anyways," he patted the top of the pile of dishes. "Take this off to the kitchen, will you? Thanks." She said as she walked off, patting Nathan on the back as she left.