23

River sat stiffly on the couch as she was silent with a locked jaw. Her eyes turn to Phoebe who was talking to a stiff Hayden. Her arms were crossed but she had a small smile on her face as she tried to be nice to the girl.

"Hayden doing okay?" River turned to Felix who looked at her with concern.

"So sweet you care," River replied back sarcastically, "she's fine."

"Well, she is at my place a lot so I notice when it becomes less-so."

"Right," River mumbled. Her eyes went around the room and she felt strange about the whole group. It consisted of Phoebe, Dina, Jesse, Ellie, Felix, Charlie, Graham and Hayden, "How's Graham doing?"

"He's a big boy," Felix snickered, "he can handle rejection."

River nodded slowly as she stayed sitting. Her eyes glanced over to Ellie who was chatting away with Dina and Jesse. Nothing bad came out of Dina and Ellie's kiss. Jesse and Dina were completely done while Dina and Ellie continued on like the kiss didn't happen. No weirdness. No discomfort. They just stayed friends and knew that was all there was.

Her eyes then turned to Charlie who entered the room once again. He grinned widely at the trio but instead went over to Hayden and Phoebe. River smiled ever so slightly - right when Charlie showed up Hayden relaxed in the conversation. She didn't have to be in control since Charlie was one of those people who could just talk to anyone. He knew how to control a conversation.

And River watched the interactions. The simple smiles, casual storytelling. Phoebe listened to Charlie while Hayden was able to slip away and head over to Graham.

River cleared her throat as she looked over at Felix, "As always sitting next to you in silence was a pleasure."

"Always looking forward to it," Felix sent River a strained smile while she snorted, nodding her head as she slowly snuck out of the party and up to her room.

River fell into her bed and closed her eyes. She turned to the toy robot on her vanity and grabbed it, slowly waving it in front of her face with a confused frown since she still wasn't really sure what to do.

"Pew, pew," River turned to Ellie, who had just made the noise, as she widened her eyes and shook her head, "that was stupid," River smirked at the girl whose cheeks turned red.

"Cute, Williams."

Ellie ignored the comment as she chuckled awkwardly, "You've been skipping out early a lot more often."

"When have I ever stayed for the  whole time?" River snickered, "I was there for an acceptable amount of time."

"Real party animal you are," Ellie chuckled as she hesitantly laid down next to the girl who was staring at the toy robot.

"Why a robot?" River turned to Ellie, "Out of all the stupid toys you own-"

"Hey!"

"Oh, sorry. Did I offend your toys?"

"Yeah, actually," Ellie grinned, "you'll have to apologize."

"I'll get right on that," River rolled her eyes, but still smiled, "Seriously though. Why this one?"

"I knew someone who wanted the toy and needed it. Didn't get the chance to give it to him though," Ellie shrugged. River stared at the girl briefly, nodding her head, "his name was Sam. I didn't know him for long. I... I forgot to put the robot on his grave and felt guilty about it since. But now at least I could give it to you."

River stayed quiet as her eyes went back to the robot in her hands.

"You want a joint?" River finally spoke up, causing Ellie to chuckle.

"Yeah."