Right By Your Side ≫ Alderheart x Sick! Female! Reader

Art: Songsteps-Designs

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Mild sickness
• Alderheart being his usual
adorable self :D

****

You were woken from a fever-induced sleep by a harsh nip of cold in the air and the sound of a blizzard drawing close outside. Leafbare never usually bothered you too much, but this time, you had come down with a rather nasty case of whitecough and required constant care. You had been stuck in the medicine den for nearly three days, and although Alderheart and Jayfeather were taking good care of you, you were as miserable as a wet mouse.

You raised your head, blinking to clear your heavy eyes of any dry crust. A tingle shuddered deep inside your throat, causing a harsh cough to rip it's way out of your dry mouth.

"(Y/N)?" A familiar voice murmured from somewhere on the other side of the den. You finished your coughing fit with one last muffled hack, then began sneezing. Through the sound of your suffering, you heard paws quietly shuffling towards you. Then, a gentle, cool nose pressed itself to your forehead. "You're burning up," The same voice spoke again, soft and laced with concern. "Do you feel cold?"

"Yes," You croaked, looking into a pair of gentle amber eyes. "I'm freezing to death, Alderheart. I—" You coughed again, your chest and shoulders shuddering. "—I feel like there's ice under my fur..." You finished once the fit died down, letting out a miserable little whimper.

Alderheart's gaze softened even more when he observed your pitiful state. "Okay," He meowed gently. "I'm going to get you some catmint to ease your cough and relieve some of the pain in your chest. I'll be right back, okay?"

You nodded weakly. "Okay."

The ginger tom carefully stepped over Jayfeather—who had somehow managed to sleep through your coughing fit—and began rummaging through his well-stocked herb supply. You watched him closely, noticing the way his brows furrowed when he was concentrating and how his tail-tip quivered when he got frustrated. There was something admirable about his little quirks, and despite your grueling physical condition, a smile crept onto your muzzle. He's cute.

"Here," Alderheart mumbled around a mouthful of smooth green leaves as he returned to your side. Carefully, he bent his head and dropped them near your nose, swiping his tongue over his jaws. You blinked at him gratefully, then dipped your head and lapped up the soft herb and chewed it into a pulp. You swallowed, and almost immediately, the tightness in your chest released it's hold on your lungs and you drew in a deep breath of soothing ice-cold air.

Alderheart smiled at you sympathetically, his amber eyes glistening in the darkness. "Better?" He asked gently.

"Much better," You breathed. "Thank you, Alderheart..." You averted your gaze, heat creeping into your face. As much as you liked the young medicine cat, you knew nothing would ever come from those feelings—the warrior code forbade it.

"You're welcome, (Y/N)." Alderheart murmured, his voice warm. You both stayed still for a moment, just listening to the sounds of the blizzard outside. You shifted, pressing yourself deeper into the moss. Alderheart cast his gaze towards you, his face softening. "You're still shivering."

"I'm fine," You insisted through chattering teeth. "You can go back to sleep now." You weren't being honest, of course—the cold was so unbearable that you felt as if your bones were made of ice. You didn't want to disturb the young medicine cat anymore, though. This is getting embarrassing. You were certain he had noticed you checking him out a moment ago, and it made you feel insecure.

Alderheart huffed, shaking his head. "I'm not a mouse-brain, (Y/N). I can tell when a cat is freezing their fur off."

You cocked an eyebrow at him. "So?"

"So, I'm going to sleep with you tonight."

That same heat returned to your face, and your eyes widened. "Um...What?" You muttered, casting a glance at Jayfeather, who had rolled onto his other side and was now facing away from the pair of you. "Won't Jayfeather get angry if he sees you sleeping next to me?" It was a perfectly valid concern; medicine cats weren't supposed to have mates, and even if you and Alderheart were anything but official, it would still look suspicious. Especially to a cat who's mother broke the exact same rule—and is as grumpy as Jayfeather.

Alderheart followed your gaze to his former mentor and let out a snort. "He'll be okay, just as long as we don't wake him up." The ginger tom gave you a mischievous wink, and you giggled softly before scooting over to make room for him. Alderheart settled down beside you, then twined your tails together. "Rest your head," He whispered gently. "You're probably exhausted."

"I am." You yawned, then laid your head down in the soft moss. "Goodnight, Alderheart."

Alderheart bent his head and touched his nose to your cheek, a soft chuckle from his barely agape mouth ruffling your fur. "Goodnight, (Y/N). I'll be right here if you need me." And with that, you were sound asleep, listening to the young medicine cat's heartbeat and the sound of the rolling storm.

****

I have a soft spot for medicine cats—specifically this medicine cat—so I just had to write a one-shot for him! Also, I've never understood why people call him cherry boi. His fur isn't even remotely cherry-colored? Correct me if I'm wrong ^^"

Thank you for voting and commenting. It sure does put a smile on my face! :3