Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Geane smiled as she watched her younger friends drown in alcohol, but not long after, her smile vanished as she realized that her usually silent and good tempered friend was drinking too much, and tears were streaming down her face. Unang beses itong nangyari kaya nabahala si Geane.

"Crisha, are you feeling alright?" Tumayo si Geane para lapitan ito. Crisha looked up at her and sniffed sadly.

"I broke up with my boyfriend..." Crisha said between her sobs.

"Are you regretting it?"

"Actually, I have no idea. But if I would base it on what I'm feeling right now, nagsisisi ako. I didn't think it through." Ani Crisha

"Why don't you just take back your words?"

"I'm a very prideful person." Crisha chuckled and chugged another bottle of beer.

"That's enough, Crish. Sa bahay ng magulang mo ikaw uuwi ngayon, remember?" Geane took away the bottle from her and sat firmly beside her.

"They won't care... But Geane, let me ask you a question."

"Hmm?"

"As the very successful person that you are right now, do you have any regrets?"

Geane's eyes suddenly glistened with tears. Looking at where she was right now, this was all she has ever dreamed of.

Graduated Bachelor of Science in Computer Science at University of the Philippines Los Baños with latin honors. She graduated as summa cum laude and delivered the speech during their commencement exercises. She also finished Professional Master in Data Science (Analytics) in UP Diliman and just got her Ph.D in Data Science program last week— the root of their celebration right now.

Would she be exiled if she thought that all of these achievements were nothing compared to what she had to give up back then?

"I've always longed to be at the top... To be the best among the best... To be the brightest star in the sky—" Geane smiled. "To achieve this goal, I had to give up the moon— the one who helped me shine all along. The one who rooted for me since day one and the one who had always stayed by my side."

"Why don't you go after the moon right now?" Crisha asked.

"Think about it being Judas' betrayal to Jesus." Geane grinned. "I think that she wouldn't like to see me. Probably at this time, she has already found the person who can choose her above anything else. The person who can give up anything for her— unlike me who gave her up for my own satisfaction."

"Then, are you satisfied right now?"

"I'm satisfied, but the thing is... I'm still living in the past."

***

It was twelve years ago.

Busy ang lahat sa eskwelahan dahil sa araw ng club recruitment. Galing si Geane sa 4th floor ng building nila dahil doon ang designated room ng club nila, ngunit kailangan niyang bumaba ulit sa 1st floor para kunin ang laptop na naiwan niya sa classroom nila.

Napatigil siya sa may pinto ng silid-aralan dahil nakita niya ang isang babae na mag-isang nag-aayos ng mabibigat na lamesa. Pinagpapatong-patong niya ito para lumaki ang espasyo sa loob ng classroom.

"Hey! Kailangan mo ba ng tulong? Ikaw lang ba ang officer ng Gender and Development Club?" Agad na tinulungan ni Geane ang babae sa pagbubuhat. She didn't look frail, but still, it's great hard work to move those tables.

"Salamat sa tulong. Paparating na 'yung iba kong mga kasama. Na-bore lang ako kaya sinimulan ko na rin mag-ayos. May kailangan ka ba dito sa room? Nailipat ko na 'yung ibang gamit eh."