9. A wild brat appears

The next few days pass without any particular events. I still haven't found the right moment to talk to Florence, but I'm not sure I've actually looked for it...

One morning, I wake up to my phone ringing.

"Hello ?", I say after picking it up.

"Hey, it's me", my sister's voice answers.

"Oh, hi Erin", I say. "What's up ?"

"Well, I'm standing in front of your building, in the street. Can you come down here to pick me up ?"

"Wh-what ?", I stammer as I hear a knock at the door.

"Just kidding !", she laughs. "I'm already right here, in the corridor !"

I hang up without replying to answer the door. Surely enough, my sister is standing on the other side with a huge smile on her face.

"What the f-... heck ?", is all I can say as she waves at me.

"Aren't you happy to see me, big bro ?", she asks.

"Yeah, 'course I am", I say as I let her in. She goes straight to the couch to sit on it.

"So, what's up ?", I ask as I stand in front of her.

She hangs her head.

"Well... Dad's going on a trip to Vegas. That's her idea, of course..."

I huff. Going on a trip in the middle of the schoolyear when you have a thirteen-year-old kid at home... Dad would never have done that if Mom was still with us, instead of that new girlfriend... Fucking Tiffany...

"Good for them, I g-...", I begin before realization suddenly dawns upon me. "Wait a minute, why are you here, exactly ?"

"Well... Dad really insisted that I stay with you until they come back. I hope that doesn't bother you too much ?", she asks as she looks up at me with a worried expression on her face.

Awww. I pat my baby sister on the head.

"Nah, it's cool, kiddo.", I say in a reassuring tone.

She smiles, seeming more at ease. I look around my appartment while scratching my head. It's a good thing we only ever used one of my two bedrooms with the girls... She'll be just fine sleeping in the other one. I sit next to Erin.

"So, how's school ?", I ask her.

"Pretty good.", she replies. "Still a straight-A student and everything."

I nod. Erin has always been the smart kid of the family. She's quite popular at school as well, which makes me happy since I always remembered that being smart in school was considered lame and just made you a perfect target for bullying. It's pretty cool that mindsets seem to have evolved, or maybe she's just very lucky.

"Sooo... you wanna do something, or..." I ask awkwardly, as I suddenly realize I don't know how the heck I'm supposed to take care of a thirteen-year-old kid.

"Yeah, I was thinking maybe we could go to the park or something ?", Erin asks.

"Sure, that sounds fun.", I say.

A thought crosses my mind. Maybe I should invite Florence... Even if I still don't find the opportunity to talk to her and only her, I feel like I didn't spend that much time with her without having sex...

"Mind if I ask a friend to join us ?", I offer.

"Sure, I guess", Erin replies with a shrug.

I pick up my phone and type in a message to Florence. A huge grin lights up my sister's face all of a sudden, as we both walk out of my flat and into the corridor. She seems to have seen the message on my phone.