Prologue

Once upon a time, there was an odd couple. He was a newly crowned king, she was a witch, yet their love was strong and true. They could only be together in secret, for they knew the world would not approve, but in spite of these challenges, they were happy.

Until suddenly the king was betrothed to be married to a woman of prestige. He told her as soon as he could, but told her that he would still meet with her. He did not yet know that their love would soon give way to the birth of a most lovely child. His mistress knew, but could not bring herself to tell him.

Before long, the king married his betrothed, whom he pretended to love. The country rejoiced at their new queen, all except his true love who watched with a numbing sadness. The new king and queen went on their honeymoon and returned in 6 months.

Upon their return, the king received a letter from his mistress, urgently asking to meet with him. While his queen was unpacking and making herself comfortable, he sneaked out to meet her in the royal gardens. He was stunned to see that she was holding a baby, but approached anyway. She told him that the child was his, that she wanted to tell him but didn’t know how to. He beamed, with a tear running down his face. Little did they know that the queen had been watching.

When the king returned, the queen had her arms crossed and a cold expression on her face. She demanded him to banish the woman. For several months, she asked this of him but he would not comply. She was able to, however, restrict his meetings with her. Gradually they dwindled until they almost ceased entirely.

One night when he thought her to be asleep, he went to visit his love and child once more. They had a pleasant evening, but when the king went home, he found the queen awake. She threatened if he did not exile his mistress, she would make herself miscarry the child she was currently carrying. He sighed, torn, and asked what of the chil. She compromised, saying he could keep the child with him, if he cast out his lover. Reluctantly, he conceded. They had to forcibly remove the child from her mother who was crying and screaming after her.

After the birth of her own son, the queen insisted that his illegitimate child have no rank and live away from the castle. With his heir at stake, the king had no choice but to give in once again. The young girl was banished to a cottage in the forest, and he asked her three godmothers to take care of her as she grew.