Chapter Nine

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Easton

The front door opening reached my ears, and a moment later, the sound of my twin little sisters running into the house filled the otherwise quiet air. I sighed, leaning back in the office chair. I was hoping Catherine would be able to sleep in a little longer, but with two rambunctious little girls running around, it was highly doubtful.

My brother poked his head around the doorframe and then stepped in when he saw me sitting there. "What are you doing?" he asked, looking down on the desk. The books were laid out, and before he'd brought the girls home, I'd been working on the budget.

"Working," I told him, a little bit of a 'duh' note in my voice. He chuckled and sat in the chair on the other side of my desk just as one of the girls squealed with laughter.

"You know I can still handle the books, Easton."

I shook my head. "I can handle it, Ethan. It's time for you to focus on your future and what you want."

He sighed and scratched at the light stubble on his face. "The lumber business, Easton—it's all I know. All I want to do. I'm asking you not to take that from me."

I leaned forward and braced my elbows on the desk. Steepling my fingers together, I rested them against my chin. "Ethan, I'd never take the lumber business from you. If that's what you want, then we'll enter into an agreement. Make it both of ours. I'll call up the lawyer later and get the paperwork drawn up."

He stared at me for a moment before saying, "You really mean that?"

I nodded. "You're my brother, Ethan. Family. And you've always had my back. You held down home while I went off to college. Yes, I'll split it with you. Fifty-fifty okay?"

He blinked at me. "Easton, fifty-fifty is more than okay," he told me.

We both looked over at the doorway when a glimpse of white entered our vision. Catherine was standing in the doorway, a long, floor-length, white robe. Her dark hair was hanging in curls around her shoulders, her cheeks rosy, her eyes bright. God, she was beautiful. I was lucky to call her my wife.

"Good morning, love," I murmured, pushing back from the desk so I could stand. I made my way to her and slid my hands along her waist. I pressed a kiss to the corner of her lips. "Did you sleep well?"

She nodded just as two rambunctious little girls sprinted through the house. I sighed and looked at my brother. "Where's mother?"

"In town," he told me. "She wanted to go shopping."

Catherine smiled at me. "I'll have the cook start breakfast, and I'll get those two settled so you two can resume business."

I cupped her cheek and kissed her properly this time. She smiled against my lips. "You're so perfect."

She laughed softly. "It's only our first day married, Easton. I'm sure I'll make lots of mistakes."

I shook my head. "Doubtful."

"You guys make me sick," Ethan teased as he stood from his chair. He clapped a hand to my shoulder. "I'm going to head up to the lumber yard and make sure everything's good. I'll be back later, and we can hash out more details, yeah?"

"Sounds good," I told him.

Catherine moved to the side, and he pressed a kiss to her cheek before he passed. "Welcome to the family, Catherine. We're proud to have you as our newest Abernathy."

Her eyes glistened with tears, and she rapidly blinked them to keep them back. I gently squeezed her waist, offering my silent support. "Thank you, Ethan," she rasped.

He inclined his head to her before slipping out of the office. Catherine smiled at me, her eyes still shimmery, but none of her tears had spilled over. "Finish your books. I'll come let you know when breakfast is ready."

"Yes, ma'am." Grabbing her hand, I pressed a kiss to her palm, then reluctantly let her go. And I didn't stop staring after her until she disappeared from my sight, calling out for Emma and Evangeline.

I was excited for home to become normal again, like a family was supposed to be, though we would of course be a little unconventional since Catherine would be taking care of my little sisters.

But I was even more excited for Catherine to fill her role in my life as my wife.

Everything already looked brighter, and I knew it would only continue to be filled with light.