Chapter 36: Splash Time

"No! I can't swallow it!", a loud scream echoed through the usually so peaceful halls of the butterfly estate. But now that a certain blonde had been enrolled into the sickroom, those quiet moments were slightly more limited.

"Do we really have to go through this every day?", Kanao asked the shaking Zenitsu with a disapproving look on her face, "After all, you came here critically injured. So, take your medication now!"

You only sighed at the display like every morning. Then, after you quickly downed your own medicine, which left a bitter aftertaste in your mouth, you swung out of your bed and walked over to Zenitsu, who was blinking down at the cup as if it would attack him any moment with its taste.

"Come on Zeni!", you sat beside him and acted as if you were cheering him on, "You can do it! Imagine all the things you will be able to do again, if you regain your limbs!"

The boy sniffled and looked at you with teary eyes.

You thought about things like swinging a sword again, cooking, no too big clothes anymore and generally just being able to reach stuff better again.

Zenitsu however had other things that came to his mind. For example, if he would regain the full length of his limbs, he would finally be able to hug you properly again! With these short arms, he was not even able to engulf you all the way and it stung his heart. He wanted to be able to hug you to your heart's content...and to his.

Suddenly a determined look spread on the blondes face and in one simple motion, he drank his medicine.

At that you smiled to yourself proudly, giving the baffled Aoi a thumbs up.

"I really don't get how you always do that...", she murmured, while she handed Tanjiro his cup of medicine, who retorted a grateful thank you and drank it without a single complaint. Zenitsu was the problem child and Tanjiro the saint it seemed.

When Zenitsu had finally emptied his own cup, he immediately stuck out his tongue and made a noise that signified the disgust he felt towards this type of beverage.

You chuckled at Aoi's statement from before "I don't know myself. I guess he just needs the right motivation."

Aoi hummed in thought to herself "I will just leave that one in your care then."

"Fine by me! I get how he can be a lot to handle sometimes", you nodded in understanding as Tanjiro sweat dropped at the interaction "You're acting like he is a child..."

"Well, are we wrong?", Aoi replied immediately and the both of you laughed together.

"HEY!", Zenitsu now protested slightly offended, "I'm right here! I can hear everything you know- AND I'm not a child!"

"Aw, my little baby doesn't like the taste of the medicine", teasingly, you leaned closer towards the boy, "Do you want it fruit flavored next time?"

Aoi and you broke out into laughter again, while Zenitsu only looked away abruptly with a blush forming on his face as he stuttered out slight protests. Even though, he felt a little embarrassed he could not help himself but to be slightly excited at the closeness of you in that moment. It would never fail to make his heart skip a beat. Also, in your tone he could hear that you had no ill intend with your words whatsoever, which he of course already knew beforehand though.

Also Tanjiro joined in the laugh with his adorable small giggles and he was glad, that everyone seemed to be in good spirits today. And he could say that it was thanks to you. After all, every time Zenitsu was throwing a fit and Aoi was close to getting mad at the boy, you deescalated the situation with ease. He was so thankful for the way you handled things. It was also nice to see you laugh like this.