Chapter 52

Leyla woke up retching. Her stomach felt like it was on fire as wave after wave of nausea had her rolling to her side to vomit.

"That was faster than expected."

The voice came to her as if from behind a fog. She put her hands out to push herself up and felt sharp rocks under her fingers. Everything around her was a blur of blacks and reds. Her hand reached for her weapons and came out empty. Bloody Diya, she couldn't think clearly!

"There's no use looking for your weapons. Or that vial you were carrying. You're not going anywhere..."

Leyla tried to open her eyes, to see the owner of the voice, but everything spun uncontrollably.

"Shik!" "Shik!" "Shik!" "Shik!"

The voices of dozens if not hundreds echoed, coming at her from every direction and sending shivers down her spine. This had to be a cave of some sort and the man only a few paces away could only be one person.

"Shik!" "Shik!" "Shik!" "Shik!"

The blur in front of her started to take shape, the edges of the man's cloak beginning to sharpen as he looked down at what she could only guess was a gathering of Bone Eaters.

"Finally!" Shik's voice rang out as he raised his hand, curling his fingers into a slow fist, "The long awaited day has come!"

The cheers were deafening, making her sensitive head pound painfully.

"Tonight, I will let you feast on the power of the Protector. And tomorrow. Tomorrow we destroy the Protectorate before marching on to end the Warrior Kingdom!"

Leyla tried not to think on his words and focused all her willpower into curling her legs beneath her. Her sight was starting to clear and her arms were moving more freely; whatever they had drugged her with must be wearing off.

"Bring out the food of the Gods!"

The cries from below grew louder than ever, then footsteps drew closer to her.

Shik crouched in front of her, pushing his hood back as he raised her head with two fingers. Her fingers grabbed at his wrists, but went lax at the sight of his face.

"Hello, Leyla," he smirked, removing what looked like a thin piece of skin from his throat. His voice had changed back to the one she remembered when he spoke again, "I've been waiting to see that look on your face."

Leyla blinked, trying to focus as she stared into the eyes of the Leader of the Land of Light. No. It couldn't be. There had to be some kind of mistake!

"Why?" Her voice was hoarse as she tried to accept what she was seeing.

"Why?" His lips curled with disgust, then he grabbed her shirt and dragged her forward to the edge of the stone platform where they stood. "Tell me. What do you see, Protector?"

Leyla's stomach clenched, nausea threatening to overwhelm her once more as she watched hundreds of Bone Eaters below entering a pool of what could only be blood. Dead bodies were piled at one end of the pool, their blood oozing into the gathered liquid while two tall men added bottles of something white to the mix.

"No words?" The Leader snorted above her. "Behold the wild beasts of Gaia."

"You're drugging them," Leyla managed past her revulsion.

"Of course. How else do you keep animals under your command? To them I am a god!" He laughed, then clicked his tongue in a pitying manner. "You're so much like you father. So powerful and yet so naive." Turning away from her, he surveyed his men who were going in and out of the pool, blood dripping past their glazed eyes and wide smiles.

"For centuries the Land of Light has kept the balance of Gaia, but it's now time to create a new balance. You can't grow good crops without getting rid of weeds. The No Lands have to be cleared for Gaia to thrive," he said, then looking back at her hate filled eyes, he laughed. "You think I am a bad guy?"

Leyla said nothing, watching him with narrowed eyes as she slowly moved her fingers.

"Hah! I can see the hatred in your eyes," he laughed with pleasure. "That's what makes you lesser than me, dear girl. You are bound by archaic ideas of morality, you revel in illnesses like love. Just like your father..."

"What of your wife, your son? Do you not have love for your family?" Leyla knew the answer to her question, he was a mad narcissist who had abandoned his own flesh and blood to fit his plans. Nevertheless, she needed to stall him until she could stand.

"Are you not listening girl? Love is a sickness. Diana was a good breeder, except of course, for giving birth to a weakling like Gabriel. As for Raphael...well you ruined him didn't you? Maybe once you're gone, he can find his way back to the right path."

"And what's that? Trying to wipe out the tribes of the No Lands? Is that the right path?" She moved her foot the slightest bit and relief surged through her body. A little longer,  just a little longer and she'd be ready to fight him.

"Ah dear girl, I'm not trying. I have wiped out the tribes." The Leader's eyes glittered with madness as he bent his face close to hers. "Aside from your precious little Protectorate, the No Lands are already mine. And once I destroy the other Kingdoms, all of Gaia will be mine."  

Leyla turned her head away from the heat of his breath and gathered her energy. "You're delusional."

"Which one of us is harboring delusions?" The Leader smiled, then he pulled a small pill from his pocket. "I believe my son once saved your life with one of these."

Guessing his intent, Leyla raised her arm, putting all the power she could call upon into the punch. The Leader fell back, holding his chin in surprise, as she staggered  to her feat. Bloody Diya, she stumbled forward.

"You see, this is why I wanted you as my son's wife!" He was laughing as he wiped at the thin trickle of blood that came from his nose. "It really is a pity that neither of you could behave."

"I'm going to kill you," she promised, taking an unsteady step towards him.

He stood, his white brows raised in pity. "No, my dear. I am going to kill you. But not now. Your death will provided a splendid boost of moral for my gathering hoards. I will let them drink your blood before sending them to destroy your little camp."

Rage filled her, propelling her forward. She gripped the high collar of his shirt, squeezing the throat beneath with all the strength she could muster. If he lived, everyone she cared for would die. The Leader's face grew pale under the pressure of her fingers, but he didn't struggle. His mad eyes just bore into hers and somewhere deep inside she saw pleasure just as a wave of dizziness hit her already foggy mind.

No! No! No! She looked down at her hand, seeing the sheen of powder on her fingers before she stumbled back and fell.

"Ugh ugh," the Leader coughed as he came to stand over her. "Well that was unpleasant." His face had become a blur as he leaned down and shoved the small pill into her mouth. "Now go to sleep, Protector. It will all be over soon."

No! She couldn't sleep! Please! Leyla fought against the oncoming darkness, pulling desperately at the Heat, but it was too late.