01 | 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄

NEW HOME

For most people, leaving behind everything they know takes a great amount of courage. It's these kinds of people who call it challenging and exciting, then some use a bird leaving its nest as a metaphor to help paint a picture.

To say goodbye to your life and say hello to a completely new one is something many will never consider, because to turn and never look back is difficult. They have people they cherish, things they value, and memories that hold them back from exploring life's endless possibilities.

But to you, leaving everything behind for a fresh start is the easiest decision you've ever made in your life.

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

The last cardboard box meets the floor of your new apartment with a loud and heavy thump. It's weird, having packed the next four years of your life into boxes, only to be dropped off on the curb in front of your new home, and left with nothing but a text me when you're all settled, okay? from your mother as she drove off.

"She couldn't even spare me one last look," you mumble as the scene of your mother replays in your head. She stayed in the car, with her hands on the steering wheel and her eyes staying forward the entire time she spoke.

Perhaps she didn't want you to see the tears in her eyes, a natural response to watching her child venture off to a new city. Or maybe, she simply didn't care.

Either way, you're happy to be gone from your childhood home. There was nothing special about it anyway, since your parents always prioritized work over you.

But even with absent parents, you managed to meet and keep one person by your side during the entirety of elementary school and though most of high school. When you reminisce about fond memories, her face is the one that surfaces — the one and only friend who stood by your side.

You both celebrated everything together — birthdays, New Year's, and the arrival of each new season. Secrets were shared in the darkness of your rooms, and you found solace in each other's embrace during times of sadness. There were days of laughter under the sun, rolling down grassy hills, and dancing in the wind. And there was a time when it felt like it was the two of you against the world.

The day before you found her — before you caught her with him — you both carved your names into the tree in your backyard, the same tree that you two would climb and see who would make it to the top the fastest.

She was more than a friend. She was family.

But one second was all the time it took to open your eyes to a new light. To betrayal and to confusion and to feelings that no words can ever be used to describe what you felt in that moment.

That second opened your eyes to deception, and it exposed your heart to heartbreak.

And, it was that second that led you here, in an empty apartment far from home with the intention of never returning. The memory of it all is so painful, and the worst part is that your parents are oblivious to it all — in fact, they're in denial of it all because to them, the story of you finding your best friend in bed with your boyfriend sounds like a piece of pure fiction.