burning flames

An eight year old little boy watched as his mother slowly got consumed by her madness. She was in the kitchen preparing a hearty meal for the entire family. His father was back after a long time so it should have been a time to bond and be happy but as he watched his mother cook he could feel something was wrong. He peeked at the living room where his brother and father lounged watching TV. He missed his father but he wasn't sure if he liked when his father was home because his parents fought a lot. He didn't like when they argued especially when his little brother got scared.

The boy turned his head around to see his mother pouring something from a black bottle into the chicken soup. He was sure this wasn't to make the soup taste better.

"Dinner is ready"

His mother yelled with a smile..as if she was yelling at her husband just an hour ago.

"Son help me set up the table."

His little brother saw this as an opportunity to escape from his father so he took it. He jumped up and ran towards his mother to help. His little brother was scared of their father especially when he came home drunk and fought with mother.

Everyone sat around the dinner table and ate the meal...

"The soup tastes weird what did you put in it...aaghh"

His father says wiping his mouth...

"Maybe the chicken stock was expired..."

"Don't you know how to read woman... feeding me expired stuff..."

His father was angry again..but his mother was exceptionally calm and said...

"Honey, don't be angry and drink a little...it's not that bad once you get used to it..."

Jungkook looked at both his parents..he was scared they would start fighting again so he finished everything in his plate.

"I am done...I'll go do my homework now..."

Junghoon watched as his little brother hurried of to their bedroom.

"How dare you feed me expired stuff don't I give you enough money...to buy things.. the only thing you need to do is take care of my house and cook for me can't you even to this shit..."

His father slammed his hands against the table and that was his que his pushed his untouched plate and slowly existed the dinning room.

It was predictable what happened next with his parents they fought for a long time...but what was not predictable was what happened to his brother.

Jungkook complained of his tummy hurting but Junghoon could go tell his parents cause they were too busy yelling at each other so he gave Jungkook a glass of water and told him to press his pillow into his stomach and try to endure it...

After what felt like hours his father's loud voice had vanished and his brother in the lower bunk bed had stopped moaning in pain... deafening silence took over the house that is when the awful smell started.

The house was awfully quite, Junghoon came down from his bunkbed and looked at his younger twin brother who was out cold...

"Kookie?... kookie wake up.."

Junghoon tried to wake his brother up but it seemed like Jungkook was unconscious. The little boy panicked and ran out of the room..

"Eomma appa... something is wrong with koo-.."

The little boy's feet came to an hault when he saw the scene infront of him. The kitchen was engulfed in flames...

"Eomma...Eomma.."

He shouted but there was no responses. His parents' bedroom was on the other side of the flaming kitchen. He ran back to his room and tried to wake his brother up again...

"Kookie please wake up kookie..."

Tears fell down his little cheeks he felt helpless nobody was there to help him...he was the only one who could help his family..he was the only one who could help his little brother. He remembered seeing something about a fire escape scene in a movie so he stripped his bedsheet off his bed and ran to their bathroom and wetted the bedsheet. He ran back with the wet bedsheet and put it over Jungkook's unconscious body and he then proceeded to pull Jungkook off his bed and onto his back.

It took him a lot of time and all his strength to pull the unconscious Jungkook out but he successfully pull him out of their room. By now the fire had started to consume most of the living room and the smoke made it almost impossible to see...

Junghoon squinted his eyes ran towards the front door but his was locked and the keys were in his parents room. He started to cough as he looked around to see any other exit but the visibility was very low and he had already consumed a lot of smoke..it was getting harder to breathe. He knew there was a window that led outside so he grabbed a vase and smashed the window near the front door. Glass shards flew all over him and he started to bleed but he didn't care as he saw his freedom very close and the gush of fresh wind gave him more hope. He ran back to Jungkook and pulled him over to the window. The window wasn't big only one of them could fit at a time he didn't know how to get out of there with Jungkook.

Luckily the fire had attracted the neighbors and some were gathered in front of the house who saw the movement through the broken window, they came rushing and pulled the two little boys out of the burning house.

Junghoon laid on the grass inhaling the fresh air again and again...

Jungkook finally opened his eyes 2 days later in the hospital and saw his twin brother on the hospital bed next to him...

"What happened..to me..?"
He asked in a grogy voice..

"Mother tried to kill the entire family...put some kind of poison in the food and then lit the house on fire..."

"Wh..at.."

Jungkook's brain failed to process the information being given to him...

"Ya...I pulled you out of that burning house...they say you owe your life to me...."

"Where is Eomma and Appa..?"

"Dead.....we only have each other now...the kind nurse said we must stick together and look out for each other from now on...."

"You saved me...."