Chapter 3

"Don't cry, Helia. It will heal soon." That gentle voice lulled her; oh, how many times she prayed to hear that voice again and again, but alas, it won't happen, not now, not ever. "But brother, it really stings," the younger redhead whined.

"You're such a baby; what will happen to you if I'm not around?" The older one sighed before picking up his younger sister. "Come, we'll treat your wound. Mother will not be pleased if she sees you hurt." Seraphina let her older brother carry her, and she encircled her arms around its neck. "You're always clumsy, tripping yourself on your own feet." The younger one pursed her lips. "Stop pouting; it won't heal your wound."

"But my brother is scolding me," she whined once again. "You're such a whiny baby; what a spoiled brat."

"I'm not a spoiled brat," she retorted.

"Oh really? You're acting like one right now." The older boy chuckled, seeing his sister puffing her cheeks in annoyance. Lance Arlo Russelville, the heir of the Russelville and the older brother of Seraphina, died in a tragedy when the ship he was on board was attacked by pirates and his body no longer returned.

Four months after the death of her parents, Seraphina lost her older brother, leaving her all alone in this cruel world where all eyes pry on their possessions.

In the corner of the large room, behind the tall wooden shelf, a certain redhead had her nose buried between the pages of the book. The small fire from the lamp that serves as a light for her flickered. It's already late, but Seraphina chooses to stay awake, her eyes following the written words as she mumbles them under her breath.

"Lord Jeremy will be the head of the manor once he becomes an adult." Those words of the maid rang inside her head once again. It's a fact that Jeremy is indeed the inheritor of the Neuschwanstein since he's the oldest son, but she is also the inheritor of the house Russelville now that her older brother is gone. But what has she done so far other than dilly-dally?

Staying with the Neuschwanstein doesn't mean she should just play around with the kids; she has a responsibility to fulfill, especially with her relatives living an extravagant life and spending all the money her father works hard for on their whims.