CXXIII. The Hall of Ages

AFTER TWO DAYS OF NON-STOP TRAVELING, Ophelia nearly wept at the sight of her family home. Tucked between trees in a park on the edge of the Nile, most people walked right by it—they saw it as something still being built or a scaffolded statue, depending on the day. But Ophelia could trace the ground of Cairo back to it any day.

Nira looked at her with arched eyebrows. She sighed how rich are you again?

Ophelia's race was red. She figured Nira must've known about her places in New York, too. "Magic benefits."

"What am I looking at, exactly?" Octavia asked.

"Oh, right." Ophelia snapped, a shockwave of wind rustling the trees and her hair. She saw the exact moment the mist left Octavia's eyes. Even Greek and Roman demigods, it seemed, had a hard time seeing through layers of what Egyptian magicians called glamor.

Over the last two days, Ophelia and Nira tried their best to dance around the topic. Hera's threat was still fresh in her mind. 'if another person so much as hears the word 'magician', whether it be a man pulling bunnies out of his hat or you parting waves, minds will be altered.'

They had explained that possibly to Octavia. As much as Ophelia hated her, it was fair that she knew what she was getting herself into. And Octavia had seemed okay with it all. As long as she could be of some help. She hadn't pushed on information, which was also good.

Hera had said there were other members of the Argo II who knew about magicians. Nira had admitted to telling Elizabeth and Nico. Ophelia was certain Ariana knew, and she was sure Percy had the vaguest of clues. Zeus hadn't wiped their memories because their parents or other gods would riot, but Octavia?

"Just one question," she said, "where's the door?"

The entrance was the size of a garage door—a dark, heavy square of timber with no handle of lock.

Nira had already been looking at her, so there was no need to get her attention. Over the last few days, she'd been Ophelia's conduit for Egyptian magic. Until Hera returned to Olympus and regained her power, there was little Ophelia could do in that regard. So, slowly but surely, she'd been teaching Nira what Anubis hadn't been able to.

Ophelia mimed the motion. Nira raised her hand and the door copied the motion—sliding upwards until it disappeared into the ceiling.

"Nice job," she said. "Now let's hope the inside hasn't been destroyed."

♝♔♝

When they entered, there was a small tiled courtyard. It was ringed by a shaded walkway, held up by marble pillars. The house it led into was two floors, one more lounging and the other for bedrooms.

There were no other doors, only snow white curtains. The color palette was yellows and whites almost exclusively. Aside from the more modern appliances, it must've looked near the same in ancient Egypt.

"First thing's first," Ophelia said, laying her bag on the low couches in front of the TV. "Food. Fridge's magically stocked, so anyone who can make anything, please do enjoy yourselves. Or I can call some demons and family friends to help us around?"

Demons? Nira signed.

"Family friends?" Octavia asked. "How long will we stay here, do you think?"

Ophelia stared at the dust particles floating around in the old great room as if she could see her own imprint in them. She shook her head and sighed. "I don't know. Depends on what information we find around here. I will get in touch with some people, actually. They can get us new clothes and Starbucks."