Elysian

"Listen, I know what I did was dangerous, but there was no time! I did all of this research and planning so that I can help Keefe with his new abilities, but more importantly Gisela was there! I was safe, I had Sandor and-"

"Who is currently being treated by Elwin while also putting your own friends at risk?" Mr. Forkle replied with a raised eyebrow.  

Sophie looked down at her feet. As much as she hated to admit, Sandor was in a worse condition than expected as the trolls had brutally attacked him.  The amount of blood on his face and the injuries running down his arms and legs made Sophie shudder. Elwin assured her that it was nothing that he couldn't fix, but it was her fault that he was in this condition. Being her bodyguard was dangerous. More than dangerous. The rest of her friends had minor injuries but Keefe? 

Elwin admitted that he didn't know what was wrong with Keefe but he was unconscious and wasn't responding to any of the elixirs that was given. But Elwin promised her that Keefe was a fighter and told her that Keefe would make a breakthrough. She tried to remember that Keefe was in a similar state last time but when she checked his head?  It was nothing but pure darkness and remembering bits and pieces of their encounter with Elysian. Thankfully, it didn't feel like his mind was broken as the terrifying memories of Alden's mind rushed through her head. She never wanted to experience something like that again and which is why she was rushing to go back to the healing center. But first, she had some major explaining to do.

"I get it okay? I already know what I did was dangerous but I need to check up on Keefe, his head feels woozy and I know something is wrong with him. I promise I'll explain everything later but he is in an unconscious state right now," Sophie said with a shaky voice.

"Which is perfectly normal for someone in an unconscious state right now. Remember this has happened to Keefe before-" Tiergan argued but Sophie beat him to it. 

"But it is different!" Sophie insisted finally putting her head up. "Last time it was like he had a long nap and had Keefe-like dreams but now his mind keeps replaying the encounter with Elysian and something is off, I can feel it!" Sophie exclaimed.

Sophie didn't look at anyone as she said it, but she could have swore that everyone kept staring at her like she did the wrong thing again but she couldn't help herself. Yes, Sophie knew there was risks but isn't that what they were made for, was preparing for?

"Which is also normal for anyone in that state." Grady implied, waiting for Sophie to look at him. "After Jolie died, I went into a similar state like Keefe. I thought for sure that my mind was broken and even now I am surprised that the guilt didn't break me. I kept replaying all the moments I had with Jolie and trust me when I say this," He paused for a moment before he continued. 

 "Keefe has always been a fighter and at such a young age he has faced such traumatic events. You all underestimate your worth, to be honest, I don't know how you all do it. Which is why my first priority is to always keep you safe, Sophie. And I understand why you had to take the risks you take, including this one."

"So are you saying that you aren't mad at me for doing this?" Sophie asked with much doubt. 

"Mad isn't the right word," came a soft gentle voice. "It is more like we understand what you had to do, and believe us when we say that because me and Grady definitely had our reservations when you took that risk, and although the biggest concern was going with Vespera, if I was you, I would have took the same risk." Edaline told Sophie with a small smile. 

Sophie hated the way she saw the dark circles under Grady and Edaline's eyes but she could feel some of her confidence coming back to her and greatly appreciated the parents she had. 

"For the record, I agree with your parents," Mr. Forkle said with an expression that was hard for Sophie to read. "Although working with the enemy is never a good idea," Mr. Forkle said with a meaningful glance at Sophie, "this is what you are made for and you and your friends took that leap when you joined the Black Swan. I understand that your timeline was coming to a dead end but I suppose there is more you need to explain to me from the meeting with Trix and the starstones?" Mr. Forkle asked, directly looking at Sophie now. 

"There is," surprised that Mr. Forkle didn't already read her mind on what happened and it was another thing that Sophie appreciated immensely. "But-"

Sophie was interrupted by a loud ring from her imparter. She immediately accepted when she saw that it was Elwin who was hailing her. 

"Elwin?" Sophie asked ready to bombard with a bunch of questions but it seems like Elwin already predicted as his next words were the words that Sophie was hoping for the most.

Elwin looked sweaty and tired but he smiled when he saw Sophie's face and smiled even more when he said, "I thought you might wanted to know, that Sandor is perfectly fine and so is Keefe."

"Is Keefe-" Sophie asked trying not to get her hopes up, but obviously her body didn't get the message.

"He is," Elwin said. "Keefe is awake."