Chapter Seven | The Opossum Lounge

"Do you wanna go out for a drink?" Barns asked after getting back from doing who knows what. I figured he was out with his friends. He offered me to go along with him, but I didn't feel like going anywhere today. "I don't actually drink alcohol." I replied. "It's okay. Where I wanna take you sells good food too." He said as he ruffled his platinum blonde hair. "Okay." I replied with a sigh. I was feeling hungry anyway. So I gathered my things and walked out of the hotel room with him.

We walked to our destination instead of riding our horses. After a few minutes we walked into a pub called the Opossum Lounge. Barns lead the way, and I followed. We sat at the bar and he ordered us drinks. He had a gin and tonic while I had a ginger ale. As I sipped my drink I looked at the menu. I ordered a hamburger with french fries. Barns ordered the same thing as well. The Opossum Lounge looked like the average pub.

Memorabilia was scattered across the wood paneling walls. A pool table and dart board was in one corner of the place. A jukebox was playing "Nights In White Satin" by The Moody Blues. The jukebox was sitting next to a cigarette machine. When our food was ready the two of us started eating quietly. The hamburger and fries was actually pretty good. I got a couple of refills on my ginger ale as well. Barns had a couple of gin and tonics, but then switched to water.

I'm guessing he didn't want to let himself get drunk. I don't blame him since he was in a public place. You never truly know what someone will do to you if you're not sober. The bar tender started a conversation with us. He was an older man with graying hair and hazel eyes. He said his name was Hank. We talked about the weather and various other things. I was suddenly aware that Barns and I were the only ones in the pub. But it was still a little early; not the usual drinking crowd had gotten off of work I guess.

"I think you two should spend the night. Here's the key for the last room." Hank said after a moment of silence. He left and went to the back before we had time to protest. We didn't need to spend the night because we have a hotel room. But we weren't able to tell him that. It wasn't like we could follow him in his storeroom. If we did he would have probably thought we were trying to rob him. Barns picked up the key, and looked at it for a few moments. The number on the black plastic keychain was 404.

I thought that was odd because there was no way this place had 404 rooms. But maybe the rooms were just randomly assigned numbers. "Do you wanna go check it out?" Barns asked after a few minutes. "I mean... we can if you want to." I replied a little uncertain of what we should do. We got up and headed towards a staircase. As we walked I noticed that a few stairs were creaky. I followed Barns and it felt like forever for us to reach the room. Hank was right, it was the very last room at the top of the stairs.

He took the key and unlocked the door. When it was opened I couldn't understand what we were looking at. Someone was sitting in a chair with thier hands tied behind thier back. A round marble table was next to it with a gun sitting on top. Fresh lilies were sitting on a larger table along the left side of the room. "What the hell is this?" I asked out loud instead of in my head. The person in the chair started making desperate sounding noises.

We walked around to see who was in the chair. I gasped loudly when my eyes met a pair of familiar blue ones. It was Barns sitting in the chair, but he his hair was brown not platinum blonde. Tears started streaming down his cheeks. A red bandana was preventing him from speaking. "What the fuck?!" Barns asked, his eyes were wide with shock and confusion. I removed the bandana from the second Barns's mouth. "Help me! He's going to kill me!" He said, gasping for air.

He was panicking, and I felt bad bad for him. I grabbed my pocket knife and cut the ropes that had his wrists tied. I then noticed that he was wearing purplish burgundy looking velvet suit. "Come on, we have to get you out of here. Especially if someone is coming to kill you." Barns said. I have the second Barns my hat to help hide his face. Barns draped his white jacker over him, hiding his clothes. He seemed weak and we had to help him downstairs.

When we reached the bar below a few people were there. All of them we're ordering drinks, but none of them turned to look at us. We got outside and into the street and I noticed that it was starting to get dark. A few people glanced at us as we entered our hotel. But it didn't take us long to get to our room. We helped the second Barns sit down on a nearby chair. We took the white jacket off of him as well as my hat. "Are you hungry?" I asked him curiously.

He nodded in response. We ordered some food for him and let him eat in peace. After a while the two of us started asking him questions. Like, why was he tied up and who was going to kill him. "Sevens kidnapped me a few days ago. Hank has been secretly feeding me. I guess he was the one who allowed you guys to rescue me. Tonight... tonight Sevens planned on killing me." He answered us. But when I asked him why Sevens wanted to kill him, he couldn't tell us why.

He didn't know why Sevens wanted to kill him. "The odd thing is that he looks just like me... and you," He said as he gestured towards Barns. "The only difference is that he has yellow hair." He added. It was hard for me to comprehend everything. Three men look exactly alike except for the color of thier hair. And all three of them had very different personalities. Sevens seemed like a man who loves violence. The Barns in white clothes seemed like he was hired to protect me.

The Barns with brown hair had been kidnapped by Sevens, and wanted to kill him for some reason. "What should I call you? It'll be a little confusing if I call you both Barns." I said, breaking a strange kind of silence. They two of them looked at each other for a moment. "You can call him Barns if you want to. My real name is Barnaby, so... you can call me Barnaby." The one with the brown hair replied. Barns gave Barnaby his bed for the night and opted to sleep on the floor.

It didn't take long for Barnaby to fall asleep; as soon as his head touched the pillow he was almost instantly asleep. Barns and I sat on the floor and talked in whispers. "Someone was bound to see us sneak him out of there. We should take him somewhere else in the morning." Barns said. I knew he was probably suggesting we take him to the house where his friends were. That wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since there was more people to protect Barnaby there. I agreed with him.

I just couldn't stop thinking about all of the unknowns that were involved with this. We knew Sevens wanted the crown to gain power, but we didn't know what kind of power. And we didn't know why the hell he wanted to kill Barnaby. Deep down I had a feeling that Barnaby and the crown were connected. I didn't know how, but I hoped to find that out. The sooner the better.

+++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3