Chapter 1: Beginning

Quinn was 14 when she met the twins. She had been transferred to a new school after she moved in with her aunt, her dad's sister. Her parents were nonexistent in her life pretty much since she had been born. She didn't remember her mother and her father was beginning to fade from her mind day by day.

She had walked into the classroom nervously and stared at the floor as she felt the eyes of her classmates on her.

"Everyone.......this is Quinn. She'll be joining us for the rest of the year." Ms. Beatty had introduced her to the class. "Quinn.......let's see. There's a desk behind Peter there. Peter, raise your hand."

The dark haired kid had raised his hand and Quinn walked toward the empty desk. She started to sit when she looked up to see the blonde boy behind her smile. She flashed an awkward half smile at him before sitting down.

"Hi, I'm Ryan." His voice came from behind her the second the bell dismissing class rang.

"Hi." She turned to look at him.

"Where'd you move from?"

"Nowhere really. I just moved in with my aunt." She shrugged as she put her stuff in her backpack.

"Oh....okay. Cool." Ryan stood. "Well......it's time for math. Where is your next class?"

She made a face and dug out her schedule. "Um......Mr. Walters. American History."

"I can walk you. It's right down the hall from mine." He stood and led the way down the hall.

"Ryan!"

They stopped walking and she turned to see an identical blonde boy walking towards them.

"This is River. He's my twin brother."

"Uh....duh?" Quinn smirked.

River looked at the redhead standing next to his brother.

"Riv, this is Quinn. She's new. She's in your next class."

River nodded. "Hi."

The trio walked down the hall towards their next classes.

And so their friendship began. Through the rest of the school year and summer, they were inseparable. Not wanting to be alone in the house, Quinn spent as much time out of the house as she could with her newfound friends. Her aunt worked crazy hours at the nursing home and sometimes picked up overnight shifts to pay the bills. The boys had taught her to ride a skateboard and they skated at the park between their neighborhoods until the street lights came on and played video games at the twins' house. So when the twins moved away, Quinn felt lost. She barely left her room or missed school altogether. They kept in touch but she knew it wasn't the same between them. They had their new life and she was stuck in hers. Eight months after they moved, her aunt lost her job and they packed up and moved to California.

***

A year later, her phone chimed and she looked down at it. Reading the text again, she blinked and then screamed as the words registered in her brain. Her hand clamped over her mouth quickly to keep quiet. Her aunt and aunt's boyfriend were on the other side of the house sleeping. Listening for footsteps, she barely breathed until she was sure she hadn't woke them. Smiling widely, she dialed Ryan's number.

"Hey!"

"Are you serious?! Are you fucking serious?" She whisper shouted. "You're moving here?"

"No. We moved to Reno."

She frowned. "Wait....what?"

"We moved to Reno last month. We wanted to come see you." Ryan explained. "We miss you and now that we're closer, we want to come see you. Is that okay?"

"Hell yes!" She smiled, her eyes tearing up a little. "When are you coming? How long will you be here? Where are you staying?"

"Whoa." Ryan laughed. "Next week....maybe. We want to talk to you about something."

"Ooookkkkaaayyyy. What?" She said nervously, her fingernails digging into her palm as she tried to calm herself.

"It's nothing bad. We just have an idea."

***

A week later, she sat on the wall outside the restaurant as she waited for the twins. Her boots hit the concrete as she swung her legs. She was beyond excited and fiddled with her sweatshirt sleeves. Her headphones blasted her favorite band and she pulled out her phone once again to see if they had texted. She saw a vehicle pull into the parking lot and she watched it through her sunglasses, happy the occupants couldn't see her staring if it wasn't them.

Her heart pounded in her chest as the car stopped in front of her. The passenger door flew open and she barely had time to register who it was before she felt herself being lifted off the wall and swung around in a circle.

"Put me down!" She laughed, crying happy tears as she held on tightly to Ryan.

"I can't." He said as he hugged her tightly, finally putting her back on her feet.

River walked around the front of the vehicle and she launched herself at him. He caught her and laughed as he stumbled back a few steps. "You almost killed me!"

"I'm so happy to see you guys." She wiped her face as she dropped to her feet and looked up at her best friends. "Wow! You guys got more tattoos. Nice!" Her finger reached out and traced River's arm.

"Have you gotten shorter?" Ryan teased, his hand flat on her head.

"No, her hair shrunk." River laughed as he pulled at one of her red curls and watched it spring back.

"Stop." She swatted at his hand and rolled her eyes. "Still fascinated with my hair, I see."

Ryan threw his arm over her shoulder and pulled her to him. "Let's eat. I'm hungry."

She led the way inside and dropped into a booth by the window. Ryan slid in next to her and put his arm around her again. They chatted until the sun started to set.

"You aren't hungry?" River asked as he stole a fry from Ryan's plate.

"No, I'm good. I'm too excited to eat."

"You look tired." Ryan observed.

"Wow, I bet you have all the girls beating down your door with compliments like that." Quinn snarked, poking him in the side.

He laughed and grabbed her wrist.

"Where are you staying?" She asked.

"King's Inn." River said as he took another sip of his coffee.

"Slumber Party?" Ryan grinned. "For old times sake?"

She laughed.

"Do you have to go home?" River asked as he stole another fry.

"No, Sarah is working tonight. She knew you were coming so I'm sure she expects it."

"How's she doing?"

"She's okay. If she's not working, she's at home with her boyfriend." Her eyes dropped to her coke and she reached for it, pulling off the label. "So why are you guys here? How could you not tell me you moved?"

"Well......we're redoing our YouTube channel....."