Chapter 14: Investigation (Part 2)

Running footsteps above them had the boys going silent.

"What the fuck...." Ryan started as the sound grew closer to their room.

"Is that..." River started to ask in unison. 

"Ryan! River! Wyatt!"

Ryan ran towards the door and threw it open as Quinn ran straight into him. He grunted at the sudden impact. "What?! What happened?" His arms went around her and he felt her shaking violently against him.

Wyatt put his camera down on the bed. "Are you okay? What's going on?" He looked towards the dimly lit hallway behind Ryan's form as if expecting something to appear.

Quinn's fingers dug into Ryan's shirt as she held on to him. Her breathing was fast and she saw the edges of her vision dim a little. "....dizzy..." She managed as she started to hyperventilate.

"Get her a chair." 

Wyatt hurried over to the desk and pulled a chair over. "Sit." He said softly as he took her elbow and helped Ryan sit her down, moving to kneel in front of her. "Quinn......hey, look at me." He said softly as he took both of her hands in his and squeezed gently to get her attention. "Breathe with me." He took a deep breath in through his nose and out through his mouth. "Tell me five things you see right now. Go on."

"You....." Her voice shook a little as her eyes focused on him. ".....Riv and Ryan....the camera....the light from the hallway..."

"Good. Now how about four things you can touch."

"You..." She said again as his hands squeezed hers again. "The chair. The floor. Ryan." She tilted her head, her cheek touching Ryan's hand on her shoulder as she exhaled slowly. "I'm good." She nodded. "Thank you." 

"What happened?" River asked as he crouched beside her chair.

"I was watching you guys....and kept hearing things in the room. The EMF wouldn't work and I heard something hiss in my ear. The lightbulb exploded and I just took off." She shook her head and let go of Wyatt's hands. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have...."

"Stop." Ryan said as he came around the chair to look at her. "Don't apologize. As long as you're safe, I don't give a fuck about the video. We can end it here for all I care."

"Right. It's not worth any of us getting hurt." Wyatt agreed.

"And look at you." River grinned as he teased her. "You got scared but you didn't freeze this time."

Quinn narrowed her eyes at him and pushed him, causing him to loose his balance and fall over. She smiled as they laughed. "Okay....I'll let you finish." She said as she moved to stand up. Ryan's hand went out to help her and she took it.

"Actually, I'd rather you stay with us." He said as the others nodded.

Wyatt picked up his camera as River closed the door to the room.

"Someone scared our friend, Quinn, here." Ryan said as he folded his arms across his chest, his jaw set. "Who was it?"

A loud knock on the wall behind Wyatt startled them and Quinn stepped closer to River. 

"Who is that knocking? What is your name? You can tell us in that device on the bed there."

"....he's dangerous..."

"Who's dangerous? Who's he?" 

"Elizabeth, is this you?" Wyatt asked. "Can you tell us who scared our friend?" 

Four heavy footsteps sounded behind River and Quinn, making them spin around towards it. Quinn grabbed onto River's arm as it shot out to keep her behind him.