The Failed Marriage

A gentle hand woke me, shaking my shoulder lightly. I flipped over to face Isa, my cheeks still sticky from crying. The room around me had been stripped of all of Huijins stuff. I shot up in the bed, looking around frantically.

"Where is all her stuff-Did she leave?" I questioned, panicked.

"No. She had me move her stuff to the guest room. She wants her own space now." Isa explained.

I laid back down, creasing my brow. Last night was blurry to me. It was hard to believe it even happened. I dragged my hands down my face. Looking over at Isa and patted the bed.

"Sit. I don't want to be alone right now." I directed.

The girl sat deftly and looked over her shoulder at me.

"You hate me though." She reasoned.

"You're right, I do." I replied.

She scooted closer to me, tucking her legs under her behind.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"I do have a question, though." I inquired.

"Hm?" She started.

"How did Huijin make a move on you? What did she do?" I questioned.

Isa sighed deeply, as if it pained her to say.

"She started with small touches, you know? Putting her hand on my shoulder, my hand, my knee...my thigh. I ignored it until one day she just straight up tucked a hair behind my ear and kissed me." She paused. "I didn't mean to kiss back, but it's been so long since someone thought of me that way." She finished.

I inhaled sharply, glaring down the girl. I reminded myself it was not her fault. It was Huijin's. Groaning, I sunk into the bed.

"Listen, I'm sorry about last night." We both started at the same time.

My eyes widened, confused.

"You don't need to be sorry, I was the one that blew up and grabbed you." I explained.

She sighed again.

"I could go for a smoke since I'm a bit stressed and annoyed with your wife, want to join me?" She offered.

I never really smoked much, save for teenage years in the mafia, but I hastily nodded. I got up and slipped on a shirt before I began to follow Isa to the doorway. The woman started digging in her pocket for cigarettes, while walking to the front door.

"I thought we were going out for a smoke, where are you going?" I asked.

"We are, on the roof." She replied.

I trailed after her, following her to the elevator of our apartment building. The door closed as we started going up. Stiff silence surrounded the small room. I couldn't think of anything to talk about as we waited.

"Do you have work today?" She asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, unfortunately the company won't run itself." I add.

"What's it like being the CEO of your construction company?" She asked as the doors opened.

Walking out, I started to answer.

"Boring, stressful, and obsessive. You have to be dedicated and sharp to run everything." I responded.

"Hmm." She hummed.

"What's it like for you?" I questioned.

"Long days, little pay, and I do everything for your wife." She huffed.