chapter twelve | secrets under the mistletoe

Rosie was relieved to wake up early on the first day of holiday break.

While the majority of the girls in her dorm woke up later than usual, Rosie was one of the few who got up early in order to get ahead with packing up to go home for Christmas. As much as she enjoyed being at Hogwarts, she had been ready to go home for a while and spend time with her parents, especially with how long the weeks had been with classes and Dumbledore's Army going on, along with getting gifts for her mum and dad from Hogsmeade during her last trip there. If anything, she was just happy to not think about whatever Professor Umbridge was up to next or having to worry about homework or even Greer up her arse about something. She didn't have to be concerned about anything Hogwarts-related at all while she was away, and that was all that mattered.

Once she had her trunk all packed and ready to go, Rosie headed down the stairs and into the common room, finding a few students hanging out by the fire as she walked by, exiting through the portrait and making her way down the staircase all the way to the ground floor. She had a smile on her face when she entered the Great Hall, though it slowly began to fade when she saw everyone talking in small groups and hushed tones as she walked by and took an available seat next to Neville just a little ways down the table.

"Hi, Rosie," he greeted her once she sat down next to him.

"Hi, Neville," she replied. "What's going on?" She kept her voice down when asking the question.

Neville raised his eyebrows. "You didn't hear?"

"Hear what?"

"Mr. Weasley was attacked at the Ministry last night."

Rosie's eyes went wide. "Holy cricket, what happened?"

He shrugged in response. "Harry just woke up freaking out, saying that he saw their dad badly injured. Aurors went to get him once Harry told Dumbledore about it.. The Weasleys left for St. Mungo's just now."

"Merlin's beard." Her heart sank the more she thought about Mr. Weasley. Who the hell would attack him at the Ministry? Why was he even there so late at night, anyway? "Is he going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I think so. From what everyone's been saying, it sounds like he's lucky to be alive."

Rosie didn't respond as she tried to stomach down some eggs and toast. Not only did she feel sorry for the Weasley family, but for Harry as well, knowing that he had to see it happen, however he was able to do that. It only caused her to be more worried as to what was going on in the Wizarding world, specifically, with You-Know-Who's return.

For the rest of breakfast, Rosie tried not to think about Mr. Weasley or Harry anymore. She and Neville talked about their Christmas plans, which weren't as cheerful as she expected them to be, and she almost felt bad for telling him about her plans with her parents. Nevertheless, Neville put on a happy face when she told him, even though Rosie could tell that it only hurt him more that his holiday traditions were usually sad. There was some relief for the two of them once they finished eating what was on their plates, despite leaving things a bit awkward between them as they made their way out of the castle and down to the train station. Before Rosie could board the train with Neville, she spotted Gavin from a distance, who waved her over once his eyes locked with hers.

"I'll be right there, Neville. Save me a seat?" She raised her eyebrows his way.

Neville glanced over and realized why when he saw Gavin standing there. "Yeah, sure," he said, nodding and hopping onto the train.

Rosie took a deep breath and headed towards Gavin, her pace quicker than usual, almost as if she didn't want anyone else from Dumbledore's Army to catch her speaking with him. The last thing the group needed was drama, something that every member was trying to avoid, especially Rosie herself.