| 31 |

|| Earth Side ||

|| Earth Side ||

Two days before my birthday we buried Niella's mother. She passed only two weeks after the baby shower, peacefully as the doctor had said. She was no longer hurting, she was reunited with Marcus.

"I think all my life my mother has been preparing me for this moment when I had to speak at her funeral. Of course, it came sooner than she'd thought, but nonetheless, she prepared me. She reminded me almost all the time that death was a necessary part of life, life, and death, they go hand and hand."

"I could recap some of my favorite moments with my mother, but those are moments I want to keep to myself for as long as I live. The only thing you guys need to know is that during her time on earth, there was never a moment where she didn't make sure the people she surrounded herself with felt love from her. All she's ever wanted was for the people around her to feel loved, and they did, up until she took her final breath."

Niella folded the piece of paper she was reading and placed it in her pocket. "I would like to thank everyone for showing up at my mother's funeral, for giving back the love she gave everyone else. You guys are truly angels."

I took Niella's hand when we began to walk back to our seats. Haven stepped up, taking the microphone and placing it to her lips. She offered to sing while we placed the flowers on Niella's mother's casket and when it was lowered into the ground.

I passed a flower to both Niella and Evie. We stepped up first, placing the white tulips on the casket and staying a little longer. I sent a little prayer, hoping that she'd be watching over us, especially Niella.

Once we stepped back I embraced Niella gently. She wrapped her arms around my waist, letting her head press against my chest while she sobbed softly.

I stayed silent while she cried, letting out every bit of emotion that she felt right now. Evie joined in on the hug only moments later, wrapping her arms around us the best she could.

"It's okay Mommy," Niella inhaled deeply, almost gasping while she pulled away from me. I wiped her face before she turned toward Evie. This was the first time Evie has ever called Niella any version of Mom.

"You're right baby, it will be alright," she tucked away Evie's curl before leaning forward to softly kiss her forehead. "You're so sweet you know that? If you ever want to know more about your grandma, I'd be happy to tell you."

Niella stood up and leaned her head on my shoulder. "You want to go comfort your dad?" I questioned after kissing her temple softly.

"Yeah, I'll be right back," Evie stood next to me after Niella walked off to her father. She took my hand, swinging it back and forth while we waited.

I stared at the casket, listening to Haven's singing as everyone finished putting their flowers on the casket. Soon the casket began lowering into the ground, everyone placing... or at least trying to place a hand on hand on it.