Summoning

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN FATE/ZERO AND ITS CHARACTERS.

Accenting the castle ruins, light began to emanate on the dull, grey ashes. Each line and twirl raced against each other to complete a whole loop, solidifying the magic circle. Cyan orbs illuminated the figure standing beside it. Her gentle eyes had been focused on the ongoing evocation, closing them as she concentrated on the chant, while her hands were cupped right on the level of her chest as if receiving heaven's blessing. As the clouds above were carried away by the wind, the ancient embers on the ground got blown afar as well. Replacing it was a pure light of bluish hue, and standing on it was a knight in a teal guise.

The female smiled at the sight. He was such a tall, handsome man. His roughly arranged hair was like a raven's feathers, and they shared the same droopy eyes which displayed a quiet grief. A hard cut mouth finished off his striking facial features, as his lean stature displayed the result of his battles and adventures. One of which was when he used an enchanted ship to fare a stormy sea to the Otherworld in search for the Loathly Lady due to a certain realization. In the legend, he discovered that she was a king's gravely ill daughter and needed to bring the dying lady a cup of healing water from the Plain of Wonder to save her. It was guarded by a jealous king and his army, but he pushed forward and defeated a total of 3,400 men single-handedly to obtain the cup. He succeeded his mission and returned to his homeland, boarded on the enchanted ship.

Of course, that was before The Pursuit. Having known his whole life until his death, the girl in front of him gestured a form of bow befitting aristocrats. She smiled more beautifully as their gaze met, her figure becoming visible under the moonlight. As a fair breeze brushed through the rubbles, her hair fluttered behind her. An unspoken acceptance imparted from both of them. With the night growing old, the valiant knight knelt down and bowed his head to greet his newly avowed master. His eyes were filled with passion to serve and fulfill his duties just as what he had done when he was still alive. The girl chuckled silently at the motion; she knew that what would follow was a vow of loyalty and commitment. She thought that knights had strange beliefs and norms, but now that she faced a genuine one, she couldn't help but wonder.

"Will you follow me even if doing so will go against your code, my knight?" She fiddled with her fingers and paced aimlessly in front of him.

"Master..." His voice was full of question and confusion. He couldn't respond immediately because neither of the answers would put his heart at ease. He wanted to serve his master, but his values were of equal importance to him.

The fair maiden stopped directly in front of him, straightening her posture. "Abandon yourself— submit only to me."

He was surprised by her words that he had to look at her. The girl who was supposedly his master demanded him a crucial reply. How could he not obey? His contract with the Grail was caused by his appeal to regain and defend his honor by fighting alongside his master; but at the same time, as a heroic spirit, how could he overlook his principles? He couldn't believe that he was already challenged right after his summoning, but as shock left his body, the kneeling knight creased his brows as a sign of resoluteness on the matter, finally understanding the situation. He chose this fate, so he might as well make his stand.

The Holy Grail War, a competition participated by seven masters and servants, guarantees no salvation to those who will fall. Out of all these strong desires and dreams, only a pair shall be granted their wishes. It was said that when least five Servants die in the war, activation of the said wish-granting device was possible, but even if he and his master would not have to fight all of the competitors, there'd still be a chance that they would fall— what more if he'd leave her by herself in the middle of a battle because the order given to him was against his code as a knight? At the very beginning, it was quite obvious what he had to do. Having called forth into the world by this benign soul meant that he must be already indebted to her for making half of his wish come true— to serve his master to the very end of his duration on Earth to express his devotion— and he must follow her. Those words of interrogation merely tested him, and now he understood what she meant by abandoning himself.

As their gaze bore on each other's soul, the mellow girl offered her right hand. "What say you?"

He took her hand, kissing it lightly. With a resolute dedication, he yielded. "I, Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, hereby pledge eternal loyalty to you, my Master. Every triumph I shall bring will be for your glory."

Another gust of wind passed through. "And so I, Ceri Agatha Blair-le Fay, accept you, the first spear of the knights of Fianna, and swear to be your rightful Master, never to betray your code of honor." As she tilted her head to one side, she beamed at the man.

Again, he was taken aback by her. He never felt so teased with words. What she declared was the complete opposite of what she contested him with. Truly, she was such a queer magus— creating a dilemma for her Servant to resolve in a nick of time. She had her green hair fluttering around, its ends reaching down to her shoulders with a silky and smooth finish. A couple of tiny golden flowers were entangled in between the strands, and a black lace holding most of her hair to one side was tied neatly. In between them was a decent distance, and right about that moment, the Servant noticed how pure her aura was. She could have been mistaken as a land goddess if it weren't for her modern day outfit.

The man was astounded by her beauty, but not only that— she may be too perfect for him. There had to be some flaws in their contract or in their participation in the Holy Grail War per se. Perhaps there might be strong magi she could not fight one on one, the mana she supplies would not be enough if she'd be wounded in some form, or unforeseen events which would put them in a disadvantage would take place. There was no conceivable condition as to where everything will fall into place in a way that fortune would favor them all the way to the completion of this war's ritual, of Heaven's Feel's sacrament. If this were to happen, the Servant would have to say it'll depend on luck, in which he lacked dearly.