18 | IRRESISTIBLE TEMPTATION

This had been the most difficult and cruel phrase she had ever uttered in her life. Elizabeth didn't know where she had drawn the strength from, but it was necessary. Now, her father could no longer interfere in Simon's life, but Mason still could. After all, what her father did was unforgivable. Not only did he separate her from Simon, but he also made him believe that she despised him. Her father, unknowingly, pushed her into Mason's arms, condemning her to a life of suffering and pain. What have you done, father? she thought again.

When she visited Mason the previous night, he was very irritable. His injury caused him great pain, and being confined to a bed suffocated him.

"Hello, Mason. How are you?" she says as she enters the room.

"How do you think I am?" he responds brusquely. "Terrible, right, Elizabeth? And you must be enjoying seeing me like this".

"Of course not, Mason. I'm worried about you", she lied.

"I can imagine. What do you want?" he shouts.

"I want to know how you're doing and if you need anything".

"I need you to leave me alone. You can enjoy your forced vacation. You must be loving this. But know that I have eyes everywhere. Watch out for anyone who might get too close. Accidents happen, darling".

"You must be out of your mind, Mason. I'm a married woman. I'm not getting close to anyone".

"I hope so. Otherwise, that useless security guy I hired for you won't be of any use to me anymore".

She didn't understand why Mason was so furious, but she could feel that his words were true. So, it was best for her to take care and avoid Simon as much as possible. If Mason suspected any connection between them, he could kill him. He should see Simon as an ally, not a threat.

"Don't worry, dear. I'll stay out of trouble". Elizabeth turns around and walks out of the room.

As she closes the door, she releases the breath she was holding. How could she have had the courage to say that? But before she can recover, she is surprised by Dimitri's presence.

"Ma'am".

"Dimitri".

"Don't worry. He's in good hands. The doctors will come every day".

Too bad, she thought.

"Great. I'll retire to my room. Good night".

"Good night".

She didn't like Dimitri. Besides having a terrifying face marked by several scars and always giving her the feeling that he was hiding something, he was one of the witnesses to her death sentence. He signed her will. She felt that this man knew more about Mason's intentions than she could imagine.

One thing, however, intrigued her. If Mason wanted to get rid of her, why protect her in this inn? Wouldn't it be easier to leave her at home to suffer from his enemies' fury? At that moment, Elizabeth had an epiphany. Of course, she thought. Her death had to be accidental. If he or his business had any connection to her death, the will could be invalidated. Genius.

Accidental, however, were not her bruises. The feeling Elizabeth had was that he enjoyed marking her so that she would always remember he owned her. The marks hurt, but the shame hurt even more. Letting her blouse fall off her shoulders had been imprudent. She couldn't let Simon know about the hell she was living. She knew he was ethical and just and wouldn't stand to see her suffer like this.

So, the phrase she had said to him had been difficult and cruel, but necessary. She needed to push him away.

But how to push him away when he treats Lia so well? The little girl fell in love with him instantly, just like her mother, and now, he had become her idol. Lia asked about him constantly, and her eyes sparkled when she saw him. Elizabeth noticed the same in him. She found herself imagining what it would be like if he were her husband and Lia's father. How happy she would be. And she imagines that it could have happened if her father hadn't done what he did to her. Elizabeth thinks she can never forgive him for destroying her life.