Chapter Thirteen: Mystic Meadows

So, I'm supposed to be taking the Buttercup group to Mystic Meadows but I canceled it because I'm a bit busy. Busy helping Cedrica with potions. But I'm sure Betty can take them since she's a troop leader. But I think we're going anyway because Sophus came to Cedrica's workshop asking if she'd like to go to Mystic Meadows to visit her parents. But she didn't want to. I guess visiting for fathers day and visiting just because are two different things. She doesn't want to see them because then she would have to see the family wand.

It's a powerful wand that is passed down from sorceress mother to  sorceress daughter. But Ember refuses to give it to Cedrica because she doesn't think she's a good enough sorceress. But, she's great at what she does besides some of her mishaps. But that's only because she gets nervous. But apparently, her mother is a completely different story. When Cedrica is casting a spell, her mother would interrupt her telling her how she should be doing it and that makes her get the words wrong.

And when you get the words wrong, you get the spell wrong. Oh, so Cedrica is easily distracted when interrupted. I mean, that's fair but how does her mother not see that? It's not something that's hard to miss. I mean, Cedrica did it to me once but she quickly saw why I got it wrong. She interrupted me. But she hasn't done it since. Sophus had an idea. He's supposed to earn his Good Deed badge today. So his good deed should be getting Cedrica the family wand by taking her to Mystic Meadows.

Cedrica agreed and asked if I could come too. I mean, I wouldn't mind. So, we went to Mystic Meadows where we were greeted by Cedrica's parents. Wade noticed Cedrica and gave her a hug which made her flustered since we were around. Parents are made to embarrass you, Cedrica. It's an unspoken rule of life. But Ember didn't give her the same welcome. She asked Cedrica if it had been too much to wear her good robe.

And I thought mothers were supposed to be judgy with their child's clothing but that was completely uncalled for. Cedrica sadly said the robe she was wearing was her good robe. Part of me thinks that the interrupting isn't the only problem. After reading a brochure about Mystic Meadows, Wade revealed that there was going to be a conjuring contest and the Buttercups were allowed to team up with the sorcerers or sorceresses. Then it was time to figure out what good deeds the Buttercups would be doing.

Sophus already knew his so he went to Ember. He just asked him that, since she was the Royal Sorceress before Cedrica, she must have a lot of magic mementos. Ember said she kept a few and let Sophus see them. So, we went to their cottage where the door was stuck. A great opportunity for Cedrica to try and show Ember she is a good sorceress. But she interrupted her twice! Twice! The first time she tried, she made a gate for the door.

The second time, she turned the door into jelly beans. Okay, the whole interrupting thing is worse than I thought. She's not even letting Cedrica try on her own! So, Ember started showing off some trinkets from when she was the Royal Sorceress. Including her twenty-five sorceress of the year awards.

"Wow! They don't call you Ember the Great for nothing," Sophus said.

"No, they don't. A good nickname is very important for a sorcerer or sorceress. It commands respect," Ember said.

"Maybe I ought to have one," Cedrica said smiling.

"Yes. Cedrica the Sensational," Sophus said smiling.

"Ooh! I do like the sound of that."

"Should I have one? Or is it still a bit early for that?" I asked.

"I wouldn't say so. Besides, I have one that I think you'll like," Cedrica said smiling.

"You do?"

"Yes. Maddie the Magnificent!"