01

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐈 : 𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑
TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY | 2022

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐈 : 𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY | 2022

𝐏𝐎𝐄𝐓 𝐓𝐀𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐈 𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 | 𝟏𝟗

"I would drop my fears at the door, I would only bring myself and nothing more..." Poet's voice trailed off as she lightly skimmed her fingers over the keys of the piano in front of her, slowly mocking the song that she was currently learning to play.

The girl only had a few things in her life that actually brought her peace and music just happened to be on of them, which is why she worked so hard on her music, not that she would ever let anyone hear it other than her own two ears.

Unlike others her age, Poet enjoyed all types of music and she would connect more deeply with songs by learning to play them. It helped her to feel more grounded.

"Poet!"

"Excuse me?! Poet!" The girl was so caught up in her music that she didn't hear the sound of the other voice calling her, not snapping out of her trance until her headphones were snatched off her head and someone forcefully grabbed her shoulder.

"What did you do that for?" The girl spoke softly, fixing them back around her neck and looking up at the older girl in front of her.

"Uh because I was calling your name from the door for like 2 minutes." The older scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest and looking at the girl sitting on the bench in front of her.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you."

"Clearly..." Poet felt her heart sink at the attitude laced in Rakhia's voice, chewing softly at the inside of her jaw as the girl's eyes silently judged her. "Get up, we're leaving."

"B-but you said I could stay a little longer and work on my song..." The younger's voice trailed off as Rakhia rolled her eyes and turned on her heel to walk away. "Rakhia?"

"What?!" Rakhia snapped, turning around to see Poet still sitting with a small pout on her face.

"You said I coul-"

"I know what I said girl." Poet felt herself about to tear up as the older girl continued speaking to her harshly, shrugging her shoulders and ignoring the disappointment on her face. "My man is coming over with his friends though so I need to go home and get ready."

"It wasn't going to take me long though..."

"You know what, girl stay here if you want to but you'll be walking back home cause I'm not waiting on you."