Chapter 5

Ryujin

Ryujin didn't know why she suddenly felt like in a competition with Minjeong when it came to their friendship with Yeji. But there was something uneasy about seeing her friend making her moves. She would talk about her nonstop, too, after admitting to the group that she's planning on asking Yeji out on a formal date after the trip.

She felt so guilty that she had intentionally avoided Yeji since she found out that she might actually like Minjeong back, so she made a plan to make it up to her in Jeju – which started with a phone call that she made after an hour of overthinking.

She didn't expect that Minjeong would literally stay glued to her side, so Ryujin steered away from the two during the whole trip there.

After about two hours, they were greeted by the saltwater and fresh air as they climbed out of the rented car upon arriving at the resthouse. Along the way, most of them were fascinated by the vast green fields, the quaint villages, and the rows of roadside vendors selling fresh produce; except for one.

Ryujin couldn't seem to focus on anything else besides witnessing Minjeong's hand traveling slowly across Yeji's shoulder – the gesture completely disregarded amidst the feline's fascination with watching the view outside.

When they got to their rooms, Ryujin was already feeling defeated and decided to skip the afternoon activity.

"Didn't get much sleep last night, I'd join you guys at dinner tonight?"

Minjeong and Minju just nodded at her and proceeded to the other girls' room while Lia made an excuse to stay for a couple more minutes.

"I'm fine." Ryujin said before the other girl could even open her mouth.

Lia shrugged and continued to pretend that she's looking for something inside her bag.

"Lia-ah. I told you, I'm alright. I don't really mind-"

She halted. Why is she even explaining herself?

Sighed heavily.

Then got up to walk toward the shower.

She paused again and glanced at a smirking Lia who's now seated by the edge of the bed.

"I didn't even say anything, Ryuddaeng. Besides, I'm just messing with you. I knew she'd be off limits when it comes to your stuff and all. "

The girl chuckled and left.

What's wrong with me?

She asked herself and took a quick shower before burying herself in bed.

She woke up with a slight headache a couple of hours later – didn't even remember how she fell asleep.

Stirring to face the opposite side, she felt a warm spot in the bed next to hers. The same spot was soon filled when someone walked in and gently sat down.

Ryujin was still buzzing from her nap so she kept her eyes closed and didn't bother looking up to see who it was.

It's probably just Lia. She thought to herself.

She was surprised, however, when a soft, warm, palm was pressed against her forehead – followed by a voice that's definitely not Lia.

"She doesn't seem like she has a fever." The voice whispered.

Ryujin would've pretended that she's still asleep, but she's not the best liar – at least when it comes to the girl who's checking up on her. She slowly opened her eyes and the feline eyed immediately pulled her hand back.

"Y-you're awake. You scared me, Ryujin-ah."

The brunette slowly sat up and grinned slyly.

"Sorry. Everything alright?"

She asked as she heard noises from the living room.

"Yeah. I just wanted to check on you real quick. Everyone's already enjoying the house party and it was weird being in it without you."

Ryujin paused with the statement. Yeji must've sensed her confusion and quickly explained.

"You know, because out of all of us here, you party the most."

"Ah, I thought for a second that you've missed me." She joked – not missing the momentary flicker of surprise on the feline eye's face before the latter smacked her arm playfully.

She's aware that Yeji hates being teased about feelings and whatnot but this time, she wanted to be a little selfish and see how she'll react. Especially when she's sitting too close and obvious concern was in her face.

Ryujin thought it was sweet and thoughtful. But the major part of the reason was because, even after almost a year of being friends, she still couldn't help but be fascinated with how even more beautiful Yeji is, up close.

"Can we stay here for a bit, though?" She asked with a serious tone. "I feel like we haven't had a catch up in a long time."

Yeji looked at her weirdly.

"Really? I was pretty sure that you've been avoiding me."

She almost forgot how straightforward the girl is.

"Well yeah, about that."

Yeji looked at her straight and waited.

"I-I don't exactly know why. I guess I wasn't having the best month. With school and all."

The feline eyed looked at her in obvious disbelief, but chose to let go of the topic and didn't press the questioning — something that Ryujin was thankful for.

"So we're cool?"

"Yeah. But I want to ask you something else, if that's fine?"

Yeji nodded.

"Are y-you and Minjeong... you know..."

The girl looked at her confused.

"Minjeong and I are what?"

"Uhm. You know...

...dating?"

Yeji's eyebrows shot up and her eyes widened with surprise, almost as if she couldn't believe what she just heard.

She paused – taking the time in regaining her control after being clearly caught off guard by the question.

She suddenly made a face that Ryujin couldn't quite describe.

"Huh?"

"Minjeong and I? Dating?"

She then let out a deep breath and chuckled a little.

"Why would you even think that? She's being nice, and I wanted to return the gesture. Besides, I don't mind having a fourth friend."

Ryujin paused and felt a pleasant shock upon hearing the other girl's answer. She didn't know what exactly it was, but she felt relieved and instantly regained her good mood.

She didn't want to press it any further and cause any kind of discomfort so she capped the topic with Hmmm, I see, and led Yeji outside to join the fun.

Suddenly, Ryujin has regained all the energy to stay up and party all night.